Saturday, March 13, 2010

Weekend Cooking: A Champion of a Birthday Cake

A new friend of mine is a trained pastry chef who recently converted her garage into a small bakery business. I've been wanting to try some of her custom creations. So, when The Husband's birthday rolled around last week and my MIL invited us for dinner, I suggested ordering a cake from Michelle.  I knew exactly what I had in mind; a cake that resembled a New York Yankees jersey.

The party was postponed last week because of sickness and rescheduled for today, but torrential rains have forced another cancellation. The cake, however, was already ordered and made.

Betty has quite the sweet tooth and loves sitting with me to look through the cakes, cookies and pies on Michelle's website, so she was thrilled to accompany me to the actual bakery.

Where we were presented with this!


Because it has The Husband's name on it, I had to cut this cake a little bit ... but there's still enough for you to have a piece, if you'd like. It is a two layer chocolate cake with a vanilla buttercream icing.  It's the size of a sheet cake. It's delicious and very rich. I know this because within ten minutes of this arriving in our house, the sleeves and part of the collar disappeared, so now the jersey resembles a tank top.

There's no way we will be able to eat all of this, so I am thinking of freezing part of this for the rescheduled party next weekend.  (What do you chefs think ... does that sound feasible?) 

Either way, this birthday cake is a home run!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. For more information, see the welcome post.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Beth F said...

What a great cake! I love the description of how it became a tank top. Yes you can freeze cake. put it in airtight containers and it should be just fine. I usually use a good-quality plastic container that is close to the size of the piece of cake (so there is little air space), put on the lid, burp the container, and then wrap the whole thing up in foil or put it in large plastic bag. But the cake should last a few months in the freezer.

bermudaonion said...

What a great looking cake! I would think it should freeze well.

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

A very creative looking cake. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. I've had good luck freezing cakes. BethF has the best method of doing this.

Debbie said...

nice cake!

Heather said...

thats a wonderful cake. I agree with Beth that it should freeze just fine.