Saturday, March 27, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Warm Spinach Salad with Beans and Feta Cheese

March is a funny month, meterologically-speaking, on this part of the East Coast.  There are gorgeous days when temperatures soar into the 60s and 70s, and there are days like today when it is downright cold with the thermometer barely reaching 30 degrees.

It's hard not to think spring when seeing fresh crops of vegetables, like asparagus, but the cooler temps make one want to hold onto those warmer dishes. 

I was in the mood for a warm salad the other day, and in keeping with the spirit of improvisation that other Weekend Cookers wrote about a few weeks ago, I came up with this warm spinach salad with great northern beans and feta cheese.

I started by sauteing some onions and garlic in a pan - not too much, maybe a handful of onions and the equivalent of 1 tsp. or so of garlic.
Then I added the bag of spinach to the pan, along with a drained can of beans.  You can use less beans if that's more your preference. I sauteed all this until the spinach got nice and bright green.



(It always amazes me how a whole bag of spinach can get reduced to such a small amount.)  This only took a few minutes.  Then, I sprinkled the feta cheese on top.


I thought this was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.  You might want to make some adjustments with the beans or garlic or feta for your preferences.  I happen to like all of those, so the quantities worked for me.  This could be a side dish for a few people, or as a main course for one.  (Nobody in my family was too interested in this, I'm sorry to say, so it was all mine.)

Happy Weekend Cooking!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I would cut down on the amount of beans, but other than that, this looks like something we would love! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Yum! I love any spinach/feta combo (omelet, pizza, etc.). Great improvisation ...

JoAnn said...

I love all those ingredients... and even have everything on hand. Guess what I'm making for lunch?

Jill said...

I'm definitely making this! I love warm salads...and spinach and feta are two of my favorite ingredients. YUM!

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

This sounds so easy and delicious at the same time. I like your mix of ingredients. Hooray for your creativity.

Beth F said...

This sounds heavenly -- wow. And I could see this served with fresh, warm bread.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Glad you all like the sounds of this! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Heather said...

for something so simple, it sounds really good.

Just Mom said...

Sounds great. I love spinach with Northern Beans - I have a pizza recipe with that combination.

Vicki said...

I love salads. I always use spinach but don't like feta at all. I'd have to try Havarti or Provolone.

You can find my WC HERE

porcelaine said...

Yes it does look good! It would probably work well with cannellini beans. It's also nutritious and quick. Two thumbs up!