Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Birthday Edition


Getting this week's Sunday Salon right under the wire this evening, but I have a good excuse.  My birthday was this weekend, today was Easter, and work has gotten interesting. I've been preoccupied this week with a job offer - which I have happily accepted - so the next few weeks are going to be a little crazy 'round here with beginnings and endings. 

I wanted to visit the bookstore for my birthday, but didn't have a chance to get up to the mall.  Instead, I found myself dropping off library books and although I have plenty of library books still at home and had no reason to even glance in the direction of  the New Books shelf (oh, who am I kidding?) I figured that it couldn't hurt to look. 

So imagine my delight when I saw one of the books I was planning to buy, right there in front of me!  Of course, that led to a dilemma: I really wanted to buy The Generosity Plan: Sharing Your Time, Treasure, and Talent to Shape the World because I met its author, Kathy LeMay, six years ago at a conference. Kathy gave a speech that was and still is, without a doubt, the best speech I have ever heard.  It was only right to support someone who I consider to be an influence on my way of thinking ... but I wanted to read this book now! 

(And I started to, right there in the library ... and imagine my shock when on the very page I turned to, Kathy wrote about that very speech I'd been in the audience for! It's about how all of us have the power to be philanthropists - that it doesn't take big checks with multiple zeroes to be considered such.  That designation isn't just the property of those with wealth.  We all have the potential to be charitable, to change the world through our gifts, even if they aren't of the amount that will get our names on buildings.  It's about finding your philanthropic passions and ways you can support them, even in small ways (especially in small ways).

This book moves quickly, so in that regard I think it would be a good choice for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon, which is coming up this Saturday, April 10.  I'm not signing up this time around - although I will likely read and cheerlead unofficially.  I'll be travelling to Baltimore's Inner Harbor right after the Read-a-Thon (any good independent bookstores I should visit in the area or any other bookish-things to do?) so will need to get things in order on the home front, rather than reading.

Happy Easter to all who celebrated the holiday today and for those who didn't, I hope you had a great weekend too. 


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

Priya said...

Happy Easter and Happy Belated Birthday!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I love hanging out at Inner Harbor but have never visited a book store while there. Happy Birthday, and I hope you have a good time and enjoy your book.

Florinda said...

A belated Happy Birthday, and congratulations on the new job! This will be an exciting time :-).

Eva said...

Happy birthday and congrats on a job! :D

IMOK said...

Happy Birthday! And congratulations on the job offer! I can't wait to hear more about it. (just don't make me too jealous!) How wonderful to have many reasons to celebrate.

I have been around here but mostly get to check out your blog on my CrackBerry while on the bus and I can't post that way. Work has been insane and can't get to it there. I'm finally around at home with energy and some spare time this evening.

Glad to hear you are coming to town and aside from me waiting to see you at some point, let me know if I can accommodate or help with logistics.

And, wouldn't you know it? We planned a last minute roadtrip the previous weekend and we ended up at Inner Harbor. I thought of you going over the bridge and wondered if I was driving by your house.

I don't know about bookstores except there's a B&N right at the harbor. My area of expertise is gelato, and I recommend Pitango at Fells Point, which is about a 15 minute walk from the harbor. Very yummy and organic, but pricey stuff! Enjoy.

(Just noticed my word to verify is "rupking" Hmmm..?)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Happy Easter, Happy Birthday, and Congratulations on your new position - wow, it's been a busy week!

You've had some serendipitous finds at the library lately. I just read your post on SLAMMING OPEN THE DOOR, and how that came to be in your book bag.

Have a great week ... and a nice trip.