Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Sunday Salon: After Book Blogger Con, It's Time to See the Lilies


Can you stand another post about the wonderfulness that was BEA and the first annual Book Blogger Convention held on Friday?  I went to New York just for the day on Friday, an incredible experience that you can read about (and see photos from) via my Book Blogger Convention Recap: Early Morning (Chapter 1).

Today we're planning a visit to nearby Longwood Gardens to see a special exhibit called Lilytopia.  For those not in the Philadelphia area, Longwood Gardens is a spectacular place - public gardens, a conservatory (pictured here during their OrKid event in January's dead of winter), children's gardens, and much more. I wouldn't have known about Lilytopia if it wasn't for Longwood Gardens' Facebook page, and the gorgeous photos that they've been posting there have sealed the deal for my decision to go to this.  (The power of social media!)  We're lucky enough that we live close enough to Longwood to visit even just for an afternoon, which is about the length of stamina that we tend to have. 

I have about 100 more pages to go with reading South of Broad, Pat Conroy's newest novel.  It's over 500 pages, and yet this is the sort of book I kind of don't want to end. I'm loving this one. With the unofficial start of summer upon us, I think South of Broad is the perfect summertime novel (as I wrote in my most recent Beach Reads column that I do for a local (to me) blog, Surviving the Sandcastles). 

That'll have to wait a little bit, though.  For the rest of today, there's a little girl who is waiting to see the lilies.   


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I so envy those who got to go to BEA in NY! I went a couple years ago, when it was in LA, but I didn't really take full advantage of everything. I was signing one of my own books, and then going to other authors' tables...and I didn't bring the appropriate "luggage" to stash all the books I wanted to carry.

Still, I enjoyed it a lot.

Next time, I'll be prepared.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying South of Broad, since I just bought it.

My salon:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunday-salon-may-30-2010.html

readerbuzz said...

Beautiful! Sounds like a lovely way to spend a holiday.