Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Meeting Jonathan Mooney and An Abundance of Bookish Goodness

All sorts of book-related goodness came my way this week. Seriously, I have a lot to tell you about, and several blog posts still in the works.

The highlight of the week was having the chance to hear from and meet author Jonathan Mooney! My friend Niksmom, who blogs over at Maternal Instincts, told me a local parenting organization was sponsoring his talk (practically in the next town from me) and it was FREE. A quick check of the schedule with The Husband and not only did I get a chance to hear a fascinating presentation, but I got to meet one of my most favorite blogger friends in person.

Jonathan didn't learn to read until he was 12. Since then, he graduated from Brown University and authored two books, The Short Bus: A Journey Beyond Normal and Learning Outside the Lines: Two Ivy League Students with Learning Disabilities and ADHD Give You the Tools for Academic Success and Educational Revolution, which he cowrote with David Cole.

I have a longer post in the works about the event and Mooney's talk (which was fabulous).  Of course, I had to buy both of his books and have him sign them as Niksmom and I chatted him up.

The week started with an ending.  As many regular readers know, I start my new job tomorrow. These sorts of transitions are always a little bittersweet, always filled with mixed emotions. I loved the organization I worked for and I loved my coworkers (still do) but the nearly 2-hour commute each way had become an albatross. Now, I'll primarily be working from home as well as, on occasion, several locations throughout the state. I think it will be a good change, although after being in this job for 5 years, it hasn't really sunk in yet that I've really left. I feel like I'm just on a temporary leave, or on vacation.Still, my coworkers gave me a hefty gift certificate to Barnes and Noble as a goodbye gift, so I am going to put that to good use (maybe as soon as today). 

A branch of our county's library system held a yard and book sale yesterday, and Betty and I stopped over in the morning. You could buy a paper bag for $3 and fill it with as many books as you could stuff inside.  One look at the offerings and I was forking over $6 for two bags.  Even if I didn't fill them up (which I did), it was for a good cause (to support the Summer Reading Program). The book sale made up for the fact that I had to return my current read, The Best American Short Stories 2009, slightly more than half-finished. It's already more than a week overdue, and my fines are already approaching $20, so back it went. 

And finally, another local blogging friend (that would be Mel from A Box of Chocolates) invited me to be the Beach Reads contributor to a new family-friendly local blog she's created called Surviving the Sandcastles.  I'm going to be contributing book reviews of good beach reads for adults, teens, and children on an every other week basis. Mel even made me my own button so I can feel all official.  I have some ideas in mind, but if you have any suggestions of good beach reads I can recommend, let me know!

And now, I'm off to Barnes and Noble with that gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket ....  





  
copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

IMOK said...

...about your book reviews and lists... here's how they help me. You know I'm not a great reader, but I'm trying! As I am frequently at a loss about what to read, I use the lists when I go to the bookstore or library. Yup - just call up your blog on my BlackBerry and start scrolling and looking to see what I should check out next.

Good luck at the new job - and hope you can get used to the new commute!

BTW - I wrote you offline a few weeks ago to ask about your trip. Not sure if you got it or have not yet been able to respond?

JoAnn said...

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you...

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

IMOK - so glad I can be of service in your book selections! And, I truly apologize for not emailing you back about the end of May. I'm still coming to NYC, but probably only for one day (Friday 5/28) now instead of two. I will drop you an email with more details.

JoAnn - thanks so much!

Florinda said...

Good luck with your first day on the new job - and with the new blogging gig, too!