Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Reading for Work and Pleasure


The book I'm reading this week is not one that I'd expect everyone to go running out to get - although if you work in the nonprofit sector, are on a nonprofit's board, or work in another fundraising capacity with a charity, this is well worth the read.

It's Kim Klein's Reliable Fundraising in Unreliable Times: What Good Causes Need to Know to Survive and Thrive, a book I currently have out from the library and which I just purchased. Klein's work is known to those of us in this field and she is going to be at a workshop I'm attending this week.  I'm lucky enough to be part of a small group consult with her, and bought the book to - yes, the groupie in me comes out - have her sign.


It's not all work and no play on the reading front, though. I'd forgotten how much I love Pat Conroy (although I regularly drive over a bridge that, if the glint on the canal meets the setting sun just so, tends to remind me of the ending scene of The Prince of Tides). Conroy's latest, South of Broad, is just as much a treasure.  It's both my fiction read and my audiobook this week.  I need to do both with this one because I'm coming up on the library due date (with no more renewals at the library, naturally) and because I'm not listening to audios as much because I'm (very happily) doing less driving with my new job.

Book Expo America and the Book Blogger Convention have kind of snuck up on me, and it's hard to believe they are just around the corner.  I'd planned to go to BEA on Thursday as well as the Book Blogger Convention on Friday, but now it looks like I'm just coming to New York for the day on Friday (leaving really early in the morning on Amtrak.  Does anyone know if the Jacob Javits Center really is within walking distance of Penn Station, as it appears to be on the map?)  With having just started my new job on the 3rd, I have only a few hours of vacation time; my new boss is encouraging me to go, but I feel funny taking two days off during my first month at a new job.

Just another example of the intersection of work and play this week.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Booksnyc said...

The Javits Center is within walking distance of Penn Station - you need to walk about a 1/2 mile west of Penn Station but it is a straight shot.

Enjoy! Maybe I will see you at Book Blogger Con - I am also having work conflicts with other days of BEA but refuse to give up the Con!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Would love to meet you at Book Blogger Con, Booksnyc - if only to thank you in person for this helpful advice. Thanks so much!