Saturday, May 29, 2010

Welcome to New Book Blogger Convention Friends!

Hello and a warm welcome to new friends visiting for the first time from Friday's Book Blogger Convention! I loved meeting so many of you, and I'm glad you've taken a moment to stop by The Betty and Boo Chronicles. Thank you so much.

(For regular readers, this is a "sticky post," meaning that it will stay up as the first post for a couple days or so. My most current blog posts will be the next post after this one.)

If you're a new reader here, welcome! Here's a little bit about me (hi, I'm Melissa!) and my blog ...

I've been blogging here since August 2008.  Originally, my thought was that this would be a fun way to keep my mother (and mother-in-law) updated on their grandchildren's doings. (Betty and Boo are pseudonyms for my 8 year old girl/boy twins.) I would use this space to chronicle our family's activities. But it became more than that.

It became a connection with others, people I consider friends and would otherwise never met. On a deeper level, blogging offered an opportunity for me to start writing for fun again. I do a considerable amount of writing for my job as a nonprofit fundraising and PR director, but I had lost my own venue, my own voice.

Before hitting publish on that first post, I realized I needed to start writing again. Blogging brought the gift of writing - doing it, appreciating it, connecting with others who love to write and appreciate good writing - back to me.

At one point during those early days, I stumbled onto a book blog.  And then another.  And another. And then I found myself reading blogroll after blogroll, and discovering that - holy cow! - there was this whole big community of people like me who loved to read.  Even better, they liked to write about what they read.  I could do that, I thought.

And then the Presidential election campaigns were in full swing (often right in my own backyard), and I found I had a few things to say about those goings-on, in addition to various issues in the news or the craziness that passes for pop culture sometimes.

So the result of all this? Is a blog that's hard to define.  I don't have a niche, per se.  I'm a potluck-dinner type of blogger.

On any given day, I'm likely talking about books (I tend to read contemporary, literary, and young adult fiction, short story collections, memoir, and nonfiction), but the next day, I might write about our family's experiences with autism (specifically, Asperger's Syndrome), which my son has.  Or bullying in schools or dating violence. Or something in the news, especially if it's of a local nature.  Or offering up some political commentary.  Or a recipe that, miraculously, my picky-eater twins devoured. Or a few paragraphs of my novel in progress. Or a guest post from my husband's blog.

I'm also a contributor to a locally-based blog, Surviving the Sandcastles, where I write that blog's weekly Beach Reads column.  Every other week, I'm in the kitchen at a food blog, (Never) Too Many Cooks.  I participate regularly in The Sunday Salon and Weekend Cooking, and I host the Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge (which you can join anytime).

For new readers, perhaps browse through the labels on the sidebar "What I Tend to Write About on My Blog."  If there's something of interest, let me know in the comments.  I'd love to hear from you.

In the meantime, thank you so much for stopping by for what I hope will be the beginning of many more visits together!


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

10 comments:

Kelly McDermott-Bay said...

What a great blog site.
Kelly Bookend Diaries
http://bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

Bookangel said...

Thanks for stopping by blog. The title of your blog jogged my memory. You had glasses and short hair right??

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Kelly ~ Thanks so much for stopping by!

Bookangel ~ You're right, that was me. I was the one who made the comment about bloggers working with the nonprofits (during the Q & A after the social responsibility panel).

It's kind of a challenge keeping everyone's names and blogs straight after such a whirlwind, isn't it? (Or maybe I am just speaking for myself ... :)

Mel said...

Ok so I'm not from the Book Blogger Convention and I'd consider us old friends, but I loved reading your intro post because I learned some cool stuff about you. I had no idea that Betty and Boo came from your twins or that you had twins!! I knew you had kids, but how did I miss all that! We must plan on a meet up this summer. By the way your Beach Reads are awesome and I greatly appreciate what you are doing!! Happy Memorial Weekend!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Mel - you're too funny! Glad you liked the welcome post. (And yes, I'd also consider us old friends - in the nostalgic-like sorta way, not chronological. :)

Thanks for the kind words about the Beach Reads posts. They're a lot of fun to do.

And yes, getting together this summer is a MUST!

gaby317 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This was such a helpful post - clearly sets out who you are, what you do, what to expect. I'm glad we met at the book blogger convention breakfast.

See you again soon!

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Hi Melissa,
It was so great to meet you at the BBC and talk with you. I look forward to following your blog and read what you have to say!

Take care,
Michelle

monica @ paperbridges.net said...

hello, again! I've never done the Sunday Salon. hmmmm. and you have a Memoir challenge? I love memoirs! more hmmmmm

great meeting you!

monica

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

It was great meeting you at BEA!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

It was so nice to meet you this weekend! I'd forgotten about the memoir challenge -- what a good idea!