Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Audiobook Week Meme

For today's Audiobook Week discussion, Jen from Devourer of Books gives us this little meme.

Audiobook are you currently reading/you read most recently: My most recent audiobook was South of Broad by Pat Conroy.

Impressions?: Loved it (see my review here). Mark Deakins was great as the narrator and the story was so well-done that it kept my attention.  Highly recommended.

How long you’ve been listening to audiobooks:  3 years.

First audiobook you ever listened to: I honestly can't remember. Just went back to my pre-blog book journal and the first audiobook that I listed in there was Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott. That was sometime in 2007.  Back then, I also didn't have a CD player in my car (and I was commuting for a total of 4 hours each day) so I was limited to whatever the library had on cassette.

Favorite audiobook title: That's hard to pick just one!  One that always comes to mind when I think of a good audiobook is The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty (review here). The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (review here) is a very close second.  Both made me wish my 4 hour commute was longer.

Favorite narrator: As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I'm embarrassed that I haven't been keeping track of the audiobook narrators that I've listened to ... so, I'm not really too sure.

How do you choose what to listen to versus read? Generally, it's one of two strategies:

1. Our library branch has a great selection of audios, and lately, there's been a lot of brand new books available in audio. If I see an audiobook version of a library book that I currently have checked out, I'll check out both so I can get it finished faster.  For example, I'm currently reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (and loving it ... can't put it down!) and I have the audio in the car.

2. I've also been trying to select audios of books that are on my TBR pile. That way, I get a double sense of accomplishment.

For more Audiobook Week fun, check out the other participants at Devourer of Books.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

Audios do help one get through the TBR.

Jen - devourer of books said...

If an audio can make you want to spend more than 4 hours in the car you KNOW it is good!

Nise' said...

How do you read and listen to the same book. Do you start reading and then begin to listen? Are you ahead in one medium?

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Nise ~ it depends. Sometimes I'll start by reading the print edition, and then I'll see the audio at the library and I'll get that. For example, right now I'm reading Her Fearful Symmetry and am on page 96. This evening I have a meeting 40 minutes away, so I'll find the part in the audio where I am in the print version, listen while en route to and from the meeting, and then later tonight pick up wherever I am in the print version. Hope that makes sense, at least a little. Speeds up the reading time.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I tried to listen to Grace (Eventually) a few weeks ago, but found Lamott's reading style really annoying and sort of whiney. I still want to read the book, the audio just didn't work for me. Glad it did for you though, way back when :)

Mel said...

I think I need to really start listening to audio books especially considering that I drive 45 minutes to work every day during the school year. I guess I need to hunt down some kid friendly ones though considering they come with me. It would be fun to listen to some books rather than have them watching the same old movies in the car. Thanks fro the idea! I think I'll start searching for the fall.

Just Mom said...

I am thinking of doing the print/audio combo to get through Ken Follett's books - they are intimidating me! Saw in eth sidebar you are readign Stones Into Schools - I listened to Three Cups of Tea recently - Mortensen is an amazing man but I did find the book a little difficult to follwo after awhile - got the villages and people confused. Here's my meme.

Trish said...

When I have more than five minutes I'll need to read your review of South of Broad. I REALLY enjoyed listening to it and Mark Deakins was a fantastic narrator, but I never felt like I had a firm grasp on what the story was about--it was so broad and the time changes were confusing to me. Either way, thanks for the great recommendation.

I just finished listening to Thirteen Reasons Why and while the story kind of got under my skin the production was the best I've listened to. Very effective and even addictive.