Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Audiobook Week: Writing Audiobook Reviews

Well, in reading several other posts about how one goes about writing audiobook reviews (our Audiobook Week discussion topic of the day, as per Jen from Devourer of Books), I realized I've been committing a major faux pas.

I haven't been mentioning the narrator by name.

And shame on me for neglecting to do so, because when it comes to audiobooks, the narrator is just as critical to the whole experience as the author. In many cases, a good narrator can really make or break the book.

I feel like I owe every audiobook narrator an apology.

Otherwise, I don't think I approach writing reviews of audiobooks any differently than I do writing reviews of the print editions. I try to give a bit of what the story is about and my impressions of it.  Because it's an audio, I will mention that, usually in the subject line ("Book Review (Audio)") and perhaps mention something about the narration itself.  I will use a quote from the book in my review, simply because I've been trying to select audios that correspond with a) books that I have out from the library (so I can get to them more quickly) or b) books I have on my TBR shelves (so I can get to them more quickly).

So, I'm going to go back and fix my audiobook reviews to include the name of the narrator. (You can find them under the label Audio Book in my sidebar.)





copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

I've also missed putting in narrator names until now. I'll change that going forward, but I'm not going to go back and fix them.

Narrators usually end up fading into the overall experience of the book for me unless they are particularly good or bad, but they do still deserve credit.

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

Honestly, I just started putting the narrator's name in my posts this week too, although I feel equally bad about it.

Nise' said...

I'm gonna go back and look if I've mentioned the narrator's name as well.

JoAnn said...

I probably saw somebody include narrators in audiobook reviews when I first started blogging. It seemed like a good idea, so I've continued with it. It's especially helpful for classics, since there are usually so many versions.