Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bloggiesta Finale


A round of applause to Natasha from Maw Books for leading the way to another successful Bloggiesta!  I am stunned at how many new-to-me blogs I discovered this weekend! It's truly amazing. 

In total, I spent 15 hours working on some aspect of my blog this weekend.  While I didn't get everything completed (and I knew I wouldn't), I'm pretty pleased.  Here's the status of things:

1. Clean up my labels and tags. 
DONE ... for now.  Still a little bit more editing to do, but I think I'll be more conscious of these going forward.

2. Write backlogged posts. 
Sadly, this one still remains undone.

3. Figure out how to create Pages in Blogger. 
DONE! I'm so glad I figured this out and I have no idea why it was confusing me because it turned out to be fairly simple.  I created 5 such pages - Books Read in 2009; Awards; Book Review Policy; About That Photo in the Blog Header (because people ask me about that all the time); and Reading Challenges 2010.  That last one took forever and still isn't quite finished (I need to add the links to the challenge hosts' blogs) but it is OK for now.  I'm really happy to have the Awards and Challenge buttons off the sidebar.  I do wish Blogger had the option for more than 10 pages, so if you're listening Blogger ....

4. Write reviews.
I wrote a review of my second most-recent read, Girl Zines: Making Media, Doing Feminism.  I'll probably post that sometime this week.  In order to write the review, I needed to finish the last 20 pages of the book, so I did that on Saturday morning (but didn't count that as Bloggiesta time).  Also, I finished While I'm Falling this evening and I started that review.  Plus, I added to my review of To the Lighthouse, which is a leftover one from the Woolf in Winter challenge from February. 

5. Write some "rainy day" posts.
Nope, didn't get to these.

6. Related to this, I have a lot of posts in draft. Decide which ones of these are worth saving.  Didn't get to this either.

7. Deal with the challenges. (Decide what challenges are not going to happen and remove those buttons from my sidebar and update challenge posts, including my own Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge that I'm hosting.)
Partially done.  All the buttons have been moved from the sidebar to pages. It's a pretty sure bet that I won't be completing the Beth Kephart challenge, which ends this month and for which I have not read any of Beth's memoirs. I'm disappointed about this, but there's a good chance at least one of these will be coming on our vacation this summer, so all is not lost with that. Colorful Reading, The Debutante Ball, and the YA Challenge are all looking doubtful right now, too, but I'm not quite ready to give them up yet. I started updating the challenge posts.

8. Create a text file (or Google Doc) of cheat sheets (html codes, post url’s, etc.)
I started this.

9. Continue combing through Google Reader and make some unsubscribing decisions.
At the beginning of Bloggiesta, I was at 671 subscriptions.  I added and subtracted some.  I'm now at 668. Clearly, more to do here. I read a total of 632 posts during Bloggiesta.

Other Completed Tasks:
Wrote  my Sunday Salon post.
Played around with the template some more and changed it back to a two column one. 
Downloaded pictures of books that will be upcoming review books (so they are now in my photo files, saving me a step when I go to do the review).

So there you have it. Doesn't seem to be 15 hours of blogging, but it is what it is.

And now, for those readers of this blog who could care less about Bloggiesta and don't live and breathe blogs like I obviously do, we now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Hey Melissa! Nice to see you again! I saw your comment, went to find you and it seems like I lost some blogs along the way. I'm back to blogging and following so hopefully I'll be seeing you around more!!

Shelley (Book Clutter) said...

I did the pages too and I'm so proud of myself! I'm not too good with the tech aspects of blogging so it was quite an accomplishment. Glad you had fun!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Great to see you too, Lori!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Your pages look great, Shelley!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Beeeeeutiful job! And thank you so much for posting about the whole shebang, because I would have missed out on a lot of work. I only got in Sunday, but was a bad mommy and got about 10 hours in. It was pretty selfish time, in that I didn't get to read other blogs much at all, but then, one of my goals was to organize and pare down my reader so I could be a better blog-buddy. Saying thanks again to you fits right into this goal.

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Thanks Melissa for participating in the Bloggiesta! And now I'm off to read about that photo . . .

gnoegnoe said...

Let's shake hands! Write backlogged post was high on my list as well but I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. I never do LOL ;) But still, I feel very accomplished because I tackled some stuff that bugged me.

Love the pages you've made; going to check 'em out some more later on.

Also, I really look up to you for reading To the Lighthouse in the past -- and reviewing it! I started reading years ago but got STUCK. Big time. I've got not much time right now but I'll be back to check out your review.