Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book Blogger Convention: Stay, Just a Little Bit Longer

(If you missed my other Book Blogger Convention posts, read them here:
Book Blogger Convention Recap, Chapter 1: Early Morning
Book Blogger Convention Recap, Chapter 2: How Maureen Johnson Got 250 New Best Friends
Book Blogger Convention Recap, Chapter 3: Speaking Words of Wisdom)

And then it was over.

After the day of laughing and learning, it was time to say goodbye to those we'd just greeted.

I wasn't quite ready to leave.

I deliberately scheduled a 7:05 p.m. train home so that there would be time to do exactly what I did, which was have a little extra time to chat a bit with those who - like me, as it turned out - didn't quite seem to want to leave either.

Lenore from Presenting Lenore (who presented us with delicious German chocolate!) and Beth Kephart.




Amy and Beth


Two of the amazing Book Blogger Convention organizers, Natasha from Maw Books Blog and Michelle from Galleysmith.

I was thrilled to have the chance to walk and talk back to Penn Station with Avis from she reads and reads



We saw this protective bird literally taking this little one under its wing. New York's rude reputation be damned.  (I love this photo.)

And then, the Empire State Building in the distance. (And, yes, a poignant reminder of another brilliant blue-sky New York day ... at least to me).
It took me a minute to realize that we were on W. 34th Street and here was Macy's! (Yes, Melissa, there is such a thing as a book blogging convention.) I mentally paid homage to my shopaholic grandmother (who lived for all things Macy's) as I played annoying tourist photographer.
And then it was really time to say goodbye as I navigated my way back to Amtrak.  No small feat, mind you.  Quite the experience being in Penn Station on a Friday afternoon, at the height of rush hour, at the beginning of a holiday weekend, and with a sea of Yankees pinstripes as far as the eye could see (there was a Yankees game that evening; it was being watched on the television I arrived home to).

My ticket snafu was resolved (all the kiosks were down in the morning) and I boarded my southbound train with Pat Conroy's South of Broad, reading the Twitter stream from the convention. 

It's very possible I will wake up tomorrow and think that #bookbloggercon was just a dream, I tweeted. 

It wasn't, of course. 

I have the cards to prove it (and the exploding Google Reader).


Business cards, arranged oh-so-artistically on my laptop keyboard the next day.

I absolutely loved the Book Blogger Convention, and am so glad I had the chance to go.  I'll echo what some others have said, and that is that I do wish there had been time for more socializing. I would have loved to have met every single person in the room.  An impossible dream, I know. Still, the whole event exceeded my every expectation.

Thank you again, so very much, to all the organizers for what was truly an incredible day!




3 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

It was wonderful, wasn't it? I wish I got more pictures and met more people even though I too have a stack of business cards. It went too fast!!!

I see my card on your pile!!!

So glad We discovered one another.

Jenny said...

I see my card!! (I totally came here to say that and then saw Michelle said the same thing, lol!)

If I get to go next year I do hope to do a lot more socializing too. And DEFINITELY taking more pictures! I don't know why I didn't take pictures! I'm stealing everyone's BEA pictures but I wish I had a couple with me or my hubby in them, lol!

Sarah said...

Nice photos, and nice to have met you there! (I see my business card in your pile too!)