Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Sunday Salon


Did you know today is Do Nothing But Read Day?  Sounds pretty good to me, and I'd imagine to most of you too. I celebrated early, as the most productive thing I did yesterday (besides making dinner) was finish Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and write my review. (I really liked it, although there were a few aspects that were slightly bothersome, but not enough to ruin the book for me.)

Whether it is because of the oppressive heat we're enduring here or the seemingly non-stop bickering among Betty and Boo, I don't know ... but I've just turned into a slug this weekend. Today I have to get my act together a bit more (the grocery store is calling) but hopefully I'll have a chance to do some reading. I started The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker last night, and am undecided about this.  From the first several pages, it seemed a little too disjointed, but I might give it another try because I was pretty tired when I picked it up. It's very stream-of-consciousness, and I don't think that's what I'm in the mood for at the moment. 

There's also True Believer by Virginia Euwer Wolff calling my name.  It's the sequel to Make Lemonade, which I enjoyed (and reviewed here).  That review, incidentally, continues to be among the posts that seem to get the most hits from this blog.  Go figure.

June has been an extraordinary reading month for me, with what is probably a record number of books read.  (Six! The Killing of Mindi Quintana by Jeffrey A. Cohen (review here); Girl Zines: Making Media, Doing Feminism, by Alison Piepmeier (review here); While I'm Falling, by Laura Moriarty; Made for Goodness and Why This Makes All the Difference by Desmond Tutu and Mpho Tutu; Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris; and Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger. Oh, and there was the graphic novel, The Baby-Sitters Club: Kristy's Great Idea, so that's seven.)

I'm not sure how to explain the increase in reading, except for the fact that there were several short books in there and some quick reads. Also, because of our vacation coming up, I'm trying to get through as many of my library books as possible (I'm highly particular about which books accompany me on vacation).  I also have a little bit more time; because I work from home now, I eat lunch by myself and usually spend that time reading.  I must say, it's pretty enjoyable. 

As I write this, a suggestion from The Husband just made my sluggishness evaporate: a potential trip to the bookstore is a definite possibility for this afternoon. Squeeeee!

OKthenseeyabuhbye!


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Do Nothing But Read Day? I like the sound of that! Congratulations on a great June... my reading was pretty pathetic, but at least I enjoyed what a did read. Hope the potential for a bookstore trip is realized ;-)

Trisha said...

Bookstore trips are wonderful Sunday activities. I may have to steal your plans...

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

A trip to the bookstore is always a reason to celebrate...

I've noticed an upswing in reading, too.

I loved While I Was Falling...read that awhile ago. Haven't read Her Fearful Symmetry yet, but I know that I should...everyone seems to enjoy it.

Here's my salon:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/06/sunday-salon-june-27.html

Lily said...

I only wish that I could indulge...one of these Sundays I will!! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm a new follower and look forward to your posts.