Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sunny Side Up



Most mornings (as in, like 99.9% of most mornings), The Husband handles all aspects of waking the kids, making sure they're clothed, cooking their breakfast, and coordinating the logistics of all the required accoutrements (lunches, backpacks, etc.) making it out the door.  He does this while getting himself ready for the day. This all happens before 7 a.m. It's down to a science, and I am fully aware that I am one helluva lucky lady.

I'm even more aware of how lucky I am on those .1% of days when circumstances require that this circus act falls to me.

I can handle the clothes, the lunches and all that.  What I cannot handle is cooking breakfast - specifically, making Boo's order, sunny side up eggs. (Scrambled, omelets, hard-boiled ... those eggs I can do. Sunny side up, not so much.  They've always skeeved me out and they turn my stomach.  I think they look gross, and they never look cooked.)

On one recent morning, Boo was disappointed in my attempt.  Frankly, so was I.

"They're not like Daddy's eggs, are they?" I said.
"Not really," Boo said.
"Want to try them anyway?"
"OK, I'll try them."

He took a bite.  Grimaced.  "They're not right," he admitted.   And just like that, no meltdown, no nothing, he asked if I could maybe make him scrambled eggs. 

Something different than his everyday breakfast.  Something - among many things - different in his daily routine.  This is HUGE for us, people.  HUGE. To have that kind of go-with-the-flow approach to something that could have easily (and I am truly surprised that it did not) prompt a meltdown of epic proportions.  I was bracing for it, expecting it, given all the other different things about this morning.

As I made the eggs, Boo peppered me with questions about whether he (Boo) was a  Democrat or a Republican and what the difference was. Typical morning conversation around here.

He took a bite.

"Well?" I said.

He made the thumbs up sign.  "These eggs are delicious," he said.  "Just right."    

And for just a moment, it was.

(I thought we need a blog post today that is a little different than all books, all the time, so I pulled this one out of Drafts.  It was originally written in March, when the husband was on a business trip and I needed to be a single parent for two days.  Honestly, I have no idea how those of you who are or were single parents do it. The photo was taken of some eggs this Easter when the kids were dying them at my mother-in-law's house.)


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I really liked this essay, Melissa. It made me smile.

JoAnn said...

I just loved this post! It made me smile, too.

Trish said...

What a fantastic post! (As I'm teetering on the "Am I a book blogger or not?" fence I'll admit that I gravitate more towards non-bookish posts these days).

I'm with you on the sunny side up eggs. My husband calls them "dippy eggs" and as long as there's no goop I'm OK (he always cooks the eggs...scrambled or not). Flipping them once so the yolk is just a little running does the trip for me. Although I'm grossing myself out just thinking (or writing) about this...

But what a trooper Boo was. And whether he's a republican or democrat--priceless.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

My husband and I definitely have our things we each do with our son. he usually gets the night time routine from bathtime, jammies and stories (though I listen with them). I give a kiss goodnight and he takes it from there. We switch off in the mornings. but i get everything else!

Great post!