Friday, July 30, 2010

Book Blogger Hop: Favorite New Author of the Year (So Far ....)


Maybe it is a sign that I am loving my new job, but these days, Friday just seems to show up even faster than usual. 

Either that or it really is true what the infamous "they" say about time flying as we get older.  (It does.)

This week's Book Blogger Hop question ties in with that, asking who our favorite new-to-us author is this year. 

(I know ... I can't believe we're at the end of July either. Hopefully there are lots of favorite new-to-us authors.)

For me, I'd have to go with Steve De Jarnett, because I was so taken with his short story "Rubiaux Rising" in The Best American Short Stories 2009.  (I raved about it here, in my Sunday Salon post on April 25.) It really is one of the best short stories I've ever read and I am looking forward to reading more from Steve.

Also well worth mentioning are Jess Walter (The Financial Lives of the Poets), Joshua Ferris (Then We Came to the End), Cathy Marie Buchanan (The Day the Falls Stood Still), and Kelly Corrigan (Lift). (Links take you to my reviews.)  

Looking forward to spending some time Hopping around to your blogs and discovering some soon-to-be favorite authors!

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

8 comments:

bibliophiliac said...

This is a great list! Thanks especially for the mention of Steve DeJarnett--I'm going to get hold of this story. This is what I love about reading book blogs!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Same here, bibliophiliac! Love discovering new-to-me authors. Would love to see what you think of the story after you read it.

Christy said...

Wow, your list of books are very different than the ones I am used to seeing. I look forward to reading some books outside of my current reading zone. Found you on the blog hop!

Tricia said...

New to me is Ian McEwan. He's someone I've been meaning to get around to and now that I have I wonder where he's been all my life.

I've read four now and plan to read everything he's ever published by the year's end.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the visit! I'm not familiar with your authors, either. :) I'll have to check them out. That's always one of the things I like so much about the Hop, getting to hear about other people's favorite books and authors.

Leah said...

Thanks so much for stopping by our blog today! And thank you for the encouraging compliment!

A friend of mine is a huge fan of Then We Came to the End. Maybe I should look into it!

Trisha said...

Most of those you named would be new-to-me authors, so I'm excited to add them to the wish list; although the wish list is now so long that I couldn't hope to read all of them in my lifetime. :)

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Those are some great new authors to me!