Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Between Books


I'm between books this weekend, which is uncharacteristically just fine with me.  That's because we're going on vacation this week and one of my Vacation Book Rules is that I can't be in the middle of a book.  There's just something exhilarating about starting a new (or used) book at the beginning of a vacation that is just so wonderful.

(And speaking of used books, I happened to go online and discover that the next town over from where we're staying has an independent bookstore that I'd never heard of.  It's a used bookstore, with all paperbacks, so I've put a visit to them high on my agenda.)   

So when I'm in between books, as I am this weekend, I turn to collections of short stories and poetry.  Unlike novels, I don't feel pressure to finish those before starting something new.  I had The Best American Short Stories 2009 out from the library earlier this spring but because someone requested it, I had to return it before I was finished.  (Hate when that happens! :) Now I have it back again and finished the last several stories last night.

Today I'm reading The Living Fire: New and Selected Poems by a new-to-me poet, Edward Hirsch. I noticed this on display at the library this week (the cover caught my eye) and thought I'd give this a try. So far I'm enjoying this collection, which spans from 1975 - 2010.

At least in the first half of the book, the nocturnal seems to be a predominant theme among these poems - whether it is a poem about darkness or nightfall, sleepwalking or insomnia, or the seasons of fall and winter. There are also several incredible poems about infertility as well as adoption.  I'm Post-It Noting poems that remind me of something specific or a photograph I've taken, so that might make for an interesting type of review. I'm thinking that I might need to buy this (or another of Edward Hirsch's books).

It's been a pretty good reading week and a good start to July.  Since last week's Salon, I finished three books, all of which I enjoyed:  Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, Someone Will Be with You Shortly: Notes on a Perfectly Imperfect Life by Lisa Kogan, To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, and the last few stories in The Best American Short Stories, as previously mentioned.

How has your reading been going this week?



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Pour of Tor said...

What a gorgeous cover the Hirsch poems have - because we all know that's the best way to judge a book.

Robin said...

Are you going to review Half Broke Horses? I LOVED that book, would love to know what you thought of it!

Jess said...

I hope you enjoy the Hirsch collection! I read that a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, though my favorite poets are definitely Mary Oliver and Pablo Neruda.

Debbie said...

I am very far behind on my reading. Too much stuff to do with my kids lately! It's a good trade-off, though.