Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weekend Cooking: On Kermits, Green Goddesses, and Graffiti


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. For more information, see the welcome post.

I come to this edition of Weekend Cooking with more of a question, instead of a recipe to share.

And a bit of a confession. 

I have this habit - perhaps you do too - of buying produce I'm unfamiliar with at the farmer's market simply because they are a) cute or b) have a cute name.  If the item in question is both cute and bearing a cute name, forget it ... chances are, it's coming home with me in hopes of my finding an appropriate recipe. 

These were my downfall this week:


The purple and white globe is a Graffiti Eggplant, the plantain-shaped tubes are apparently Green Goddess eggplant, and the round ones are the irresistible Kermit eggplants.  (Seriously, would you have been able to leave a few Kermits behind?)

I probably should have made something with these by now (they were purchased on Tuesday) but I didn't plan well and didn't have time.  I was thinking of a good baba ganoush recipe.  But in my searching for an appealing recipe, the Kermits didn't seem to yield many options besides Thai recipes.  I'm not much of a Thai food fan (don't like the coconut).   

Any thoughts, suggestions ... referrals to a 12-step program for People who Impulsively Buy Cute Produce They Have No Idea How to Cook?  

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

Beth F said...

You would have seen me at one of those 12-step programs but I know I'm hopeless.

I would just use any and all eggplants for any and all eggplant recipes. I'm a rebel like that -- don't want to make Thai? Just use those cuties in some other eggplant dish.

Don't stress -- they'll taste great.

gnoegnoe said...

LOL sorry, I'm like you unless I can find the self-discipline to plan my weekly menu! Like I did this week.

Any stir-fry dish will taste delicious with those kermits! I think they'll combine great with cashews as well.

Enjoy!

gnoegnoe said...

PS. I'm really jealous of your 3 varieties of eggplant. Got 3 kinds of potato and tomato today, but that's not as great a catch as eggplant!

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

You and I are thinking alike this week. I wrote a similar post for Weekend Cooking. I am always a sucker for the cute vegetables and fruit that are new to me. I always go to books for solutions. With all that eggplant I'd pull up good eggplant recipes and go for it.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Shellac the kermits and make earrings?

Heather said...

Ooooo! They are so cute!!! I would have totally bought those too. They are adorable. And I bet yummy. No matter how you fix them. :)

A co-worker of mine makes eggplant casseroles. I have no idea HOW she does this, but I'm sure you can find all kinds of ideas if you just google eggplant recipes!

bermudaonion said...

I can see why you had to bring those home with you, but I'm clueless about what to do with them.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Thanks, everyone! As an update, I have a ratatouille in the crockpot right now. Used the graffiti, two of the Kermits, and one of the Green Goddesses.

Gershwoman said...

Eggplant parmesean for next time.