Saturday, July 17, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Stuffed French Toast


We wait all year for this breakfast and when our vacation finally arrives, we eat this every single morning. 

Actually, I could eat this every single morning of my life.  (So could The Husband, as it is his breakfast of choice on vacation too.)

Before the sleep is fully rubbed from our eyes, we're dressed and out the door, walking a block along the docks of the back bay to Uncle Bill's Pancake House, a Jersey shore tradition since 1962.  Even with eight locations, it still has the feel of a mom-and-pop establishment.

You know what to expect at Uncle Bill's (it is branding at its best) - the green-aproned and sun-kissed tanned waitresses, the busboys placing the flags in the flowerboxes, the tent card with the waitress's name, and - if kids are in tow, the complimentary post-breakfast individual-sized moist-towelette packet and a lollipop. 

And this.  Oh, yes, this ... the breakfast that we anticipate 51 out of 52 weeks of the year:


It is the Stuffed French Toast, the first item on Uncle Bill's paper placematted menu. It is the exact same every time we get it  - except for the price, which seems to increase a bit each year, but which could cost $100 and still be worth every melt-in-your-mouth bite.

I don't have a recipe but I do know that it is made with homemade sweetened cream cheese and homemade cinnamon butter.  Even if I did have a recipe, I know there would be no way to re-create this.  And I'm not sure if I'd want to, really. 
 
It is pure perfection (and pure cholesterol, a cardiologist's nightmare) on a plate. 
 
It is tradition. 
 
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.
 
copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

There are some dishes that are so good there's no way I would even try to duplicate them. Your stuffed french toast sounds like that. How great that you save it for your vacation. If I'm ever near the Jersey shore I want some of them.

gnoegnoe said...

LOL such self-discipline! It's great to have traditions :)

Vicki said...

We all love french toast, especially my husband. He could eat them everyday too!

Trish said...

Oh how I wish you did have a recipe to share with us! I absolutely adore French Toast but I've never attempted to make mine stuffed.

Enjoy the vacation. And PS--I made a little mention of you on my blog today.

Beth F said...

Oh man, that really looks wonderful. I wonder if there is an Uncle Bill's in Ocean City (NJ). We try to get there at least once a year.

And vacation is all about having some fun and not worrying about the calories and fat. Enjoy!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Beth F., indeed there is an Uncle Bill's in Ocean City! Check out their website - I think there's one at 40th and Asbury and another at 21st and ... something.

The one we go to is in Strathmere, next town over from OC.