Sunday, August 15, 2010

All Dressed Up to Go Dreaming

One of the artwork pieces displayed at the BlogHer
Voices of the Year Gala and Art Auction on 8/6/2010.
The reflection in the upper corner is the chandelier
in the room we were in when I took this.
"Look, Mommy, there's a half moon tonight!" marveled Betty, motioning me towards the front door.

I got up from the sofa and followed her gaze. Indeed, seemingly suspended by a thread in the sky, was a perfect cookie-cutter of a half moon.

"I wish we could go outside and see it," she said, pressing her nose to the glass window.

"We can," I said, and opened the door.  We sat on the front steps, silently looking skyward, the breezy summer air kissing our faces.

"Tonight you might see a shooting star," I offered, explaining to Betty about the Perseid meteor showers.  The best nights were Thursday and Friday, but there's still a chance that maybe there would be some tonight.  You never know, I said.

I told her how the Perseids each August remind me of the Leonids, the celestial event that happened in the wee small hours several days before she and Boo were born.  How once upon a time the Husband and I sat in her and Boo's sun-moon-and-stars themed nursery, watching comets bursting across the swatch of ground outside.  Surrounding us were two cribs, two sets of miniature doll-like clothing. Two sets of pastel stuffed animals that could resemble our own little ark if the world should ever end.

Sinatra played the next morning, as it did all Sunday long back then. The first Frank we heard that morning was "Moonlight Becomes You" and I still can't hear the lines you're all dressed up to go dreaming, now don't tell me I'm wrong, oh, what a night to go dreaming, mind if I tag along? without thinking of that night.

"Are you crying again, Mommy?" said Betty. 

"Maybe a little," I admitted. 

"Because it's a happy memory, right?" 

"That's right, baby girl." 

We sat there a bit longer, looking for a few shooting stars, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that what was likely a plane wasn't a shooting star.  Doesn't hurt to believe just a little bit longer, I reasoned.

Back upstairs and clad in her pajamas, Betty kicked off the pink covers and opened her window shades.

"I'm keeping the blinds open so I can look for a shooting star in my sleep," she said.

She's all dressed up to go dreaming ....



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Precious, Melissa-just precious!

Niksmom said...

Oh! Gorgeous.

Florinda said...

Did you know that "Moonlight Becomes You" was introduced by Bing Crosby in The Road to Morocco? I learned that a few weeks ago when I watched the movie on TMC (my husband is a huge Bob Hope fan) - it was a surprise to me!

Lovely story, Melissa.