Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Editor's Pick of the Week and a Pick-Me-Up For the Day

If you've spent any time at all on the writing site She Writes (and if you haven't, you absolutely must), then you know the quality of writing that lives there and the incredibly interesting and genuine people that comprise the site's 10,000 active members from all fifty states and thirty countries.

Today a bit of news arrived in my email from She Writes.  News that was a much-needed pick me up after a morning greeted with rain and two hours with my dentist.

(A messy cleaning, with enough blood lost for the hygienist to recommend that I, a vegetarian, eat "a lot of red meat" today to make up for all the iron that was lost.  A treatment plan that includes a dizzying lineup of crowns, fillings, veneers, and implants costing well into the five digits and keeping me in the dentist's chair until 2013.  I wish I was exaggerating. I am not.)

Adding insult to injury afterward: a blah haircut just in time for BlogHer

And then, in the middle of the day, the aforementioned email from Kate Hanselman, Managing Editor of the She Writes Blog and the She Writes Community Manager.  Kate chose my blog post about Boo's encounter with our Congressman as a She Writes Editor's Pick of the Week.

I am deeply honored and grateful.  I am in wonderful company with the other bloggers selected.  And, I hope to be in Kate's company (and that of She Writes Founder, Kamy Wicoff) for the next couple days at BlogHer '10 and to thank these ladies personally.  (You can too, by visiting She Writes and signing up as a member.  It is free and it is wonderful.)

My crappy teeth and blah hair might be traveling to New York tomorrow via Amtrak.

But my heart will be flying. 

Photo taken by me at Longwood Gardens, May 2010. Photo and text copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Niksmom said...

Ooh! Kudos, my friend! :-) See you in NY!

JoAnn said...

Congratulations, Melissa!! Have a great time in NY.

avisannschild said...

Congrats, Melissa! Have a fabulous time in NYC!

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

Congratulations!

Have a great time at Blogher. I started blogging at about the same time that Blogher was nearby, and didn't even hear about it until it was over, I still hope to go someday.