Thursday, August 19, 2010

Getting My Arts Fix at The Gulf Auction Honoring the 2010 BlogHer Voices of the Year

One of the things I wanted to do while in New York for BlogHer was to visit the Modern Museum of Art.  It wouldn't have been hard to do, because MoMA was mere steps from the Hilton. There was a Matisse exhibit that I would have loved to have seen, but alas ... it didn't happen. Way too much that I wanted to do, way too little time. Sigh.

I did get a bit of an "art fix" at BlogHer, though.  On Friday evening, I met up with my blogging friend Kablooey at the BlogHer Voices of the Year Art Auction. 

Prior to the conference, bloggers were invited to submit posts for consideration as a Voice of the Year.  Of the more than 1,000 submissions, 90 bloggers were named as Voice of the Year Finalists and several read their posts aloud at the Community Keynote, which was incredibly funny, inspiring, and moving all at the same time.

Also prior to the conference, many artists dedicated their time to create funny, inspiring, and moving images to connect with the funny, inspiring, and moving words. Right after the bloggers read their posts, we went to a reception where all the artwork was displayed. 

And the work?  Looked like it belonged across the street at MoMA.  Seriously, it was amazing and powerful stuff. Photos that made us laugh and made us tear up.  Artwork doing its job.

Now, all of the artwork is being made available via The Gulf Auction honoring the 2010 BlogHer Voices of the Year, an online auction curated by Kirtsy. Each week will feature an auction of the art inspired by a different category, and every dollar will be donated to The Nature Conservancy to help clean up the Gulf of Mexico. You can click on this link for more information.  The auction is open until September 17, but since only a handful of work is being offered per week, you'll want to check this out NOW and bookmark the site to come back often.  It's open to the public; you don't have to have been at BlogHer or be part of the BlogHer site or anything to bid. 

At the reception I took a few photos of some of the artwork that I was especially impressed with (there were so many others, too, but unfortunately my photos don't do the work justice).  Here are some of the pieces I especially loved (and at least one or two that I might be bidding on).  I wish I had time to look up the artists' names and link to the bloggers' posts, but I don't and I thought it was more important to get this post up and spread the word about the auction.








I love this because Betty's room is this exact color of pink and she also has the exact same polka-dotted pink wall decals on her walls, too.  Plus, from the back, the little girl in the photo could be my Betty.   



This one is probably my favorite piece in the entire exhibit.  I seriously love this to no end.  I might be bidding on this.  (Where I'd put it, I don't know ... I'd love to hang it in the bathroom on the main floor.)  I love, love, love this. I think it would be perfect in a psychiatrist's office, don't you?



Remember when every female Facebook friend of ours was posting status updates that was really the color of her bra?  Susan from Toddler Planet does ... and she is a breast cancer survivor who wrote one of my favorite posts EVER.  It's called "In the Name of Awareness" and it is such an emotional piece of writing, just as this is an emotional piece of artwork that connects to it.  (I was honored to meet Susan at BlogHer and tell her how powerful that post was.  Apparently others thought so too - 35,000 people have read it.  You should be the 35,001th.)

 

















Liz Rizzo of Everyday Goddess was one of the BlogHer Voices of the Year and she read her piece, "Phone Karma" at the Community Keynote.  I had a chance to meet Liz at the reception, where she is pictured with the piece inspired by her post. (Florinda and I also sat with Liz, Donna from SoCalMom, and Beth from Fake Plastic Fish at breakfast the next morning. I was definitely in the minority with all the California bloggers at the table!)

As I said previously, The Gulf Auction honoring the 2010 BlogHer Voices of the Year is open to everyone, so check it out if the photos above are to your liking and you're interested in supporting the cleanup efforts on the Gulf Coast.

I may not have gotten the art fix that I intended to in New York. But these masterpieces are better, as they will help us do our small part to help fix a wrong.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

No comments: