Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Library Loot: In Which the Total Number of Books Checked Out Equals the Total Read This Year


Honestly, it's a wonder that someone hasn't confiscated my library card already. 

Things are getting, um ... how shall we say? A little out of control in the library books department. 

As in, the number of library books I currently have checked out is EQUAL to the number of books TOTAL that I have read this year.  As in, I can no longer see the surface of my coffee table.  (Not like it was ever pristine to begin with, who am I kidding?) As in, we have hit the 99 book limit on two cards. 

(I can't believe I am admitting this, but we're all friends here, right?)

It's getting bad, people.  Take a look for yourselves.  Here's this week's Loot, from last night:


Now that looks all fine and well and good and not overly ridiculous, right? Right.  

Until one sees THIS.  The pile of Library Loot that existed BEFORE last night's library visit. 


See, here's the problem.  It's the damn Autism. Because on Tuesday evenings, I pick the kids up early and drop Boo off at his social skills group.  Since I have Betty with me and group is 1.5 hours, there's a limited amount of things we can do and places we can go in that window of time.  So we visit a large branch of our county library, quite possibly the largest of the regional branches.  

Where they have a really great selection of books.  (If you think my Library Loot is bad - and I admit, it is - Betty's is worse.) 

Add to this that, for some reason, I have this insatiable craving to read.  Nonstop.  I can't figure it out.  I want to read everything RIGHT. NOW.

Here's the total list, with the explanation of why I checked it out (as if there needs to be one).  Have you read any of these?

Last Night's Loot:
1. The Early Stories of Louisa May Alcott 1852-1860
2. The Portable Louisa May Alcott
3. The Inheritance, by Louisa May Alcott

(I am reading - and loving - Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women by Harriet Reisen, which is also among my Loot but isn't pictured.  This is making me want to read all of Louisa May Alcott's work.  Betty checked out Eight Cousins and Jo's Boys, both of which she wants us to read together.  Believe it or not, I've never read either of those.) 

OK, continuing onward ...

4. Perfectly Normal, by Lee Woodruff (because I heard Lee speak at a conference this spring and loved her)

5. Not My Boy! A Father, a Son, and One Family's Journey with Autism, by Rodney Peete (because I follow Holly Robinson Peete on Twitter)

6. Visionaries in Our Midst: Ordinary People Who are Changing Our World, by Allison Silberberg  (this was on display as I approached the check out line and I love books like this)

7. The Madness of Love, by Katharine Davies
8. Hush, Little Baby, by Katherine Davies
9. Help Me, Jacques Cousteau, by Gil Adamson
10. If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things, by Jon McGregor 

(The ones above are all "just because."  They are all new authors to me, the books look good and ... well, they were there.) 

11. Lay Back the Darkness:  Poems, by Edward Hirsch (because I just finished reading Hirsch's collection, The Living Fire, and he's now my new favorite poet)

12. The Best of It: New and Selected Poems, by Kay Ryan, U.S. Poet Laureate, 2008-2010 (because did you know she is our Poet Laureate?  I didn't.  So, I need to check this out and read what our Poet Laureate has to say in these fun times we live in.)

13. Imperial Bedrooms, by Bret Easton Ellis (because part of me has a thing for the bad boys of literature, and Mr. Bret Easton Ellis is kinda in that category.  However, since this one checks in with the Less Than Zero crowd 25 years later, I might need to re-read that one first to refresh my memory.)

14. Now I See the Moon: A Mother, a Son, a Miracle, by Elaine Hall, with Elizabeth Kaye 

Moving on to the pile that I had before last night:

15. The Queen of Palmyra, by Minrose Gwin (because I read too many book blogs and y'all have been talking about this one)

16. If You Knew Suzy: A Mother, A Daughter, a Reporter's Notebook, by Katherine Rosman (because I am apparently powerless to resist any book with the subtitle A ____, A _____, and a ______)

17. The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien (because I signed up for Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness' read-along.  Which was July 26.)

18. Losing Charlotte, by Heather Clay (because I read a good review someplace and I liked the cover)

19. Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? by Seth Godin  (because it is Seth Godin, who I love)

20. A Taste of Honey: Stories, by Jabari Asim

21. Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty: Poems, by Tony Hoagland (because Serena from Savvy Verse and Wit had one of his poems featured on the Virtual Poetry Circle recently and I liked it)

22. The Calligrapher's Daughter, by Eugenia Kim  (because I do calligraphy ... and because it has been on my TBR list) 

23. The Best Kind of Different: Our Family's Journey with Asperger's Syndrome, by Shonda Shilling

24. Walks with Men, by Ann Beattie (this is a novella set in Chelsea, in 1980s New York.  Because at the time of check out I was going there for BlogHer and I wanted to read about that neighborhood in case I went there.)

25. Crossing Oceans, by Gina Holmes 

26. Not For Profit:  Why Democracy Needs the Humanities, by Martha C. Nussbaum 

27. The Girl Who Chased the Moon, by Sarah Addison Allen (because I really liked Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen

28. Something is Out There. Stories, by Richard Bausch

29. After the Workshop, by John McNally

30. Lullabies for Little Criminals, by Heather O' Neill (because tell me if you could have resisted a title like that)

31. Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing, Stories by Lydia Peelle

32. Carbine, Stories by Greg Mulcahy

33. News from Home, Stories by Sefi Atta

34. Where I Live: New and Selected Poems 1990-2010, by Maxine Kumin

35. Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Stoudt (because so many bloggers have raved about this one)

36. Women Lead the Way: Your Guide to Stepping Up to Leadership and Changing the World, by Linda Tarr-Whelan (because it was on the BlogHer bookstore table and I didn't buy it, and also because Marie Wilson wrote the forward and I love her)

Yeah.  I know.  I know.

Have you read any of these? Which ones must I absolutely read before they are due back?  (We get three renewals of three weeks each.)  Which ones can I forget about?

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg of The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader myself that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Tee hee. That is an awesome pile, and we are all friends, so I will say that I am jealous of it :D I with my library had a better selection, if it did I would be just as bad as you. Happy reading!!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Wow. I don't think your local library will have to worry about their user stats any time soon! As for the picks themselves...

I loved Eight Cousins (and the sequel Rose in Bloom) when I was younger. After An Old-Fashioned Girl, they were my favourite Alcott books. The Reisen biography is amazing!

I found The Girl Who Chased the Moon a little blah personally, though I did enjoy The Sugar Queen.

Enjoy your loot!

Christine said...

I already cannot imagine how you are able to read the number of books that you do. Seriously, it takes me *weeks* to read a single book! And this pile? Wow!! I admire your ambition!!!

booksploring said...

Now I'm kind of glad my library has a 10-item loan limit...or else I'd probably be in the same situation as you! I already struggle to read everything before they're due back :-)

blog said...

Wow, those are amazing stacks!

The only book I can share an opinion on is Olive Kitteridge, which I loved, and I think you will as well.

Whatever you read next, enjoy it!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'm impressed. I use my library card also. I have a Kindle now and I love reading on it. I'm trying to keep my inventory in check but I'm not having much luck.

Lynn said...

I thought my pile was big this week, but you put me to shame!

Lisa said...

I love those piles. Every couple of days I make a resolution to myself to finish the library books I have and then start reading the books I own, so maybe I can get rid of some books. No new library books for me! But then a hold will come in and I'll think, I'll just scan the NEW shelves and I bring home a dozen more. I really should find out what the limit is at my library.

Linda said...

Wow! Great loot. Enjoy.

dfmil09 said...

That's an amazing amount of books. My library has a limit, but I'm just not that fast a reader, so with me, they don't need to cap my loaners.

Joanne P said...

Wow... now I see why my library has a 20 book limit. Do you ever misplace any of your library books? Must be hard to keep track of so many?

Gavin said...

Wow, that is quite a pile (two actually) of books. I've read some of them including The Things They Carried, Olive Kitteridge and The Reasons For and Advantages of Breathing, all of witch I loved. Good luck with your reading!