Wednesday, August 11, 2010

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: Imagine

One of the highlights of my trip to New York last week for BlogHer was going to the Top of the Rock, the observation deck of Rockefeller Center.  We went on a breezy summer Friday night (72 degrees!) and the view was beyond spectacular. While I got some decent photos, my camera decided that was the time to act strangely and I was experimenting with different settings in order to try and get the best photos. 

Which is how I happened to take this one:


Kinda creepy looking, isn't it, with the face of the person next to me (I think) looking out onto the city that never sleeps.  Adding to the creep factor was The Husband's reaction when I was showing him my photos from the trip. 

"Oh my God, that's really similar to the last photo of John," he commented, referring to the former and beloved Beatle who is known by only his first name in our house and  Paul Goresh's photo of the late John Lennon, taken while the former Beatle looked through his limo window on the fateful night of December 8, 1980.  It would be the last photo ever taken of John. 

If one really looks at it (and possibly stretches the imagination) this one taken by me atop Rockefeller Center could resemble what an older John might have looked like today ... glasses, an older face, contemplating the post-9/11 state of his adopted city nearly 9 years later (that number 9 again!) and that of the world. 

Something to think about, especially this week, as we contemplate Lennon murderer Mark David Chapman once again being up for parole ... and all the what-if's and possibilities that entails. 

For more Wordless Wednesday photos (and likely some not as wordy as this), go here.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Florinda said...

Oh, Chapman had BETTER not get paroled. It's probably safer for him if he doesn't, actually. But that reminds me...we never did get to the Dakota and Strawberry Fields during BlogHer weekend.

That is a strange and interesting photo.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

BlogHer weekend needed to be BlogHer Week (or month!) for us to do all that we wanted - and needed! - to do. Nonetheless, it was a great time.

Completely agree with you on the parole possibility. I'm hoping the fact that the hearing was postponed yesterday means something favorable.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Hey, something else to like about you two. John's my favorite Beatle too. Let me know when you come back in, and we can see the spooky Dakota (Rosemary's Baby too) and Strawberry Fields. I've even managed to brainwash my 5 year old into liking the Beatles, and she knows my favorite song is A Day in the Life. She's partial to Ringo because he's more "kiddy". Love the creepily beautiful photo.