Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Getting My Reading Mojo Back


Ever have one of those times where life takes over for a week or so and you don't read as much?  And then you begin to miss and even crave settling down with a good book?  And then to overcompensate you become a reading fiend?

That describes my reading over the past two weeks. 

During BlogHer, there were only snippets of time to read.  There was my Amtrak ride up to New York which I spent re-reading some of the essays in Gravity Pulls You In: Perspectives on Parenting Children on the Autism Spectrum, edited by my friend Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman, who was deservedly just named as one of Parenting Magazine's Must-Read-Moms. I knew that several of the contributors (Kyra, Kristen, Christine - do read her post about her boy, his bike, and the tomatoes - and Kristina, to name a few) would be at BlogHer, and I wanted to re-familiarize myself with their words. Our conference days were jam-packed, and the five minutes or so I had before crashing into bed were all I had to read. (And my Amtrak ride home from New York was not conducive to reading at all, thanks to no lights.)

I've made up for that in the days since arriving home.  It took me until well into Thursday to feel even semi-human again, which I couldn't understand and really wasn't expecting. (I mean, I've been to big conferences before - AFP in Baltimore this year was even larger than BlogHer - and I wasn't this zonked for nearly a week later.)  Maybe it was a combination of all the walking and dinners being eaten at 10 p.m. and the sensory overload that is New York and BlogHer that made my whole system become out-of-whack and utterly exhausted, but I'm finally feeling back to my regular self.  

As such, I found myself tearing through two books this week.  It's very rare for me to start and finish two books in one week, but that's what happened with my reading of Steve Lopez's The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music.  I absolutely loved this one, as my review indicates.

On Friday evening, I started and finished Shadow Tag, the latest novel by Louise Erdrich. This one had me riveted to my seat for several hours and is a pretty intense (and very painfully sad) read. It's incredibly well-written, but one that isn't for everyone and that requires its reader to be in a certain frame of mind, I think.

Assuming my sinus headache lessens today, I'm hoping to spend a little time with Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women, by Harriet Reisen. It's due back to the library (with no renewals) on Friday.

Have you read any of these?  How has your reading week been?

Visit other participants in The Sunday Salon by clicking here.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

8 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I can definitely relate to what you're describing.

I read and enjoyed Shadow Tag and The Woman Behind Little Women.

Now I'm having one of those weeks with very little reading, but my salon post is here:

http://accidentalmoments.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/the-sunday-salon/

nomadreader said...

My year of reading has been incredibly irregular. I have good weeks, great weeks and bad weeks. All in all, it averages out, but it sure has been inconsistent. I'm glad to hear you were riveted by Shadow Tag. I hope to find time for that one before the year is over.

SenoraG said...

I totally know what you mean. I had a crazy few weeks and could barely open a book. This weekend during the readathon I have been going crazy. Gotta find my happy balance again.
Wanna Check Me Out?

K A B L O O E Y said...

I've been the same way, but I always read -- I just had trouble blogging because BlogHer was the elephant in my writing room. I want to read Shadow Tag, and just finished Medium Raw, Anthony Bourdain's new book. Thumbs up. Not the shock effect of Kitchen Confidential, but interesting nonetheless.

christa @ mental foodie said...

I recently read Shadow Tag too, here's my review:

http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-review-shadow-tag-novel-by-louise.html

I read The Soloist (last year?) and enjoyed it (haven't watched the movie). I wish it is written in a few years in the future though so we'll have more of an update of Nathaniel.

JoAnn said...

I STILL haven't read any of Louise Erdrich's novels, but I love her short stories. My daughter got me an autographed copy of The Plague of Doves last Christmas, so that's where I'll start. I've read some great reviews of Shadow Tag though.

Florinda said...

It took me a good chunk of the week to start feeling close to normal again too. I didn't finish the book I'd started before BlogHer until yesterday.

I am very eager to read that Alcott biography - I hope it's out in paperback soon!

teadevotee.com said...

I really enjoyed 'The Woman Behind Little Women' - extremely interesting!