Saturday, August 21, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Real BlogHer Book Bloggers Eat Bookstore Quiche

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. For more information, go here.

Sometimes you get the best food imaginable in the most unexpected places. 

That's what happened two weekends ago when Florinda and I, taking a bite of the Big Apple during the recent BlogHer conference, ventured to Nolita (I think it was Nolita; my knowledge of NYC neighborhoods is pitiful) to do a little book shopping.

Oh, we indulged in some great books, all right.  But we also inhaled the most scrumptious piece of quiche I've ever eaten in my life. And it was found at McNally Jackson Books, of all places. 

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.  Allow me to explain. 

We had planned to visit McNally Jackson on the same evening as the She Writes meetup, but we couldn't find it.  With the sun setting over the skyscrapers of New York, we headed back uptown on the subway, vowing to try again on Saturday.  We did, and we were more successful.

Already armed with book purchases from the nearby Housing Works Bookstore Cafe (an incredible place that deserves its own in-the-works post), we found our way to McNally Jackson Books  where we book-shopped some more. Realizing that we were starving but had limited time until I needed to catch my train at Penn Station, we needed a quick meal.

Fortunately, McNally Jackson has a cafe ... which is where I ate the best damn quiche in my entire life.

This quiche.  They have a vegetarian version (which I had) and a version with - help me, Florinda, was it ham?  Bacon?  Whatever it was, both versions and the side salad accompanying it were delicious and I devoured mine ... as you can tell.


(I was so hungry and so in love with this quiche that it didn't occur to me to take a photo until I was finished. And fortunately, this being New York, nobody batted an eye at my taking a photo of a half-eaten meal.)

During the rest of BlogHer, our meals were either the breakfasts and lunches provided by the Hilton as part of the conference, and our dinners were eaten late at night at the 24 hour deli across from the hotel.  Schedules, circumstances, and the lack of a trust fund prevented us from dining more extravagantly. 

A leisurely Saturday afternoon browsing downtown Manhattan independent bookstores, a good friend, a pile of books, a great little meal ... all the ingredients of an experience to savor.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

SOB!!!!! I was there during BEA. I took photos of those cool book ceiling lights. I bought a book. Did Dawn (She Is Too Fond of Books) and I think of eating. No. Why? Well one reason is that we were meeting someone at Housing Works and needed to get moving. Next time....

caite said...

yeah...where is the picture of the quiche??? lol

Vicki said...

Sounds like you had a good time on your trip and that food looks yummy!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Beth F - if there's a Book Blogger Con next year in conjunction w/ BEA, then we all must make a field trip. Didn't spend enough time in either place (and we didn't get to The Strand, Bluestockings, or the cookbook bookstore).

caite - I know, right? :) I wasn't thinking.

Vicki _ it was incredibly fun ... and delicious.

Peaceful Reader said...

I think your right-sometimes food in unexpected places takes us by surprise! The trip sounds delightful and I noticed the quiche was gone...it was that good!

JoAnn said...

What fun! I loved Housing Works and will make a point of visiting McNally Jackson Books on my next trip to the city.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

LOL! Love the photo of the quiche crumbs :)

Glad you enjoyed both HousingWorks and McNally Jackson. So many bookstores, so little time ...

Heather said...

What a great story. Love the photo.