Thursday, August 12, 2010

When the Inappropriate is Appropriate

(sign by the iguana cage at our local zoo)

I'd just driven through the McDonalds drive-thru (I know, I know ... I'll take my Bad Mommy Award to go, please) en route to Boo's social skills group.

"Mommy, I have a question," said Boo. 

"Yes?"

"Are you tough or strong?"

"Am I tough or strong? What do you mean?"

"Are you tough or strong?" he repeated.

"You mean, like, in my head or ... like with sports and stuff?"

"What do you mean, in your head?"

"Well, sometimes when a person has a problem or something terrible happens to them and then when they make it through that problem OK, you say that that person is 'strong.'" I answered, realizing I wasn't making any sense. 

"Are you strong?"

"I'd like to think so," I said.

Pause.

"I'm going to ask my friends at group if they are tough or strong."

"That sounds good." 

"Mommy?  Would that be an inappropriate question?"

An inappropriate question?!?!  Whoa.  Where did that come from?  I'd never heard him use the word inappropriate before, much less correctly. 

I nearly choked on my French fry.  "I think that is a very appropriate question indeed."

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

pixiemama said...

Would you like a side of fries with that? :)

I have to say, a long, long time ago, in a much funkier life, I owned an iguana. Her name was Lilian. And I learned all about nodding heads and aggression.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

How old?

Great conversations!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Michelle ~ he's 8, and has Asperger's, so the fact that he actually thought about whether the question was inappropriate or appropriate, or even knew the difference ... well, in our world, this is a huge big deal. :) Great conversations indeed.

pixiemama~ oh, girlfriend, I'm never one to turn down a side of fries. Thank you, drive thru.