Monday, August 2, 2010

Why I Was Blissful Over Chelsea's Wedding

I admit it.  I was all about Chelsea Clinton's wedding this weekend. And I am still indulging in each nugget of nuptial bliss as they continue to scroll through my computer screen. Quite simply, I can't get enough. 

Despite receiving a holiday card from the Clintons for the entire duration of his Presidency (a thank you for stuffing envelopes for his Pennsylvania campaign back in the glory days of '92), our invitation to join Bill and Hill in Rhinebeck somehow didn't find its way to us. 

I'll forgive that faux pas, because hey - that's what the Internet is for, right?

There's been much to do about these particular to-do's, and rightfully so, a lot of people proclaim not to care.  But I do, and you know ... maybe secretly you do too.  And maybe you're not quite sure why  you care.  Here's why I think some of us were so wrapped up in this. 

1. It's a reminder of a happier time. For many of us in my age bracket (early 40s), the early '90s were the good ol' days.  Sure, some of us graduated college in a recession, but shit ... it wasn't anything like this nonsense we have going on right now.  The Clinton Era was a time when our biggest worry was Gennifer Flowers (oh, and yeah, that Monica girl) and not people who wanted to kill us by flying airplanes into buildings or the 11 year old down the street who is hell-bent on cyberbullying our kid.

2. Speaking about Monica, I think what Chelsea's wedding represents to us Gen-Xers is that it is possible to fuck up really, really bad with this parenting gig and for your kid to still come out OK.  Because, really, when your father is Bill Clinton and has done the things Bill Clinton has done with chicks just slightly older than you ... well, that's not quite the standard for Father of the Year.  But by all accounts, Chelsea represents to us this very thing: that we can screw up, bigtime, and maybe there's a chance our kid will still turn out OK.  (Because let's face it:  we all think that we are screwing up at being parents.)

3. Those of us who remember Chelsea's debut on the world stage remember a ... well, a gawkish awkward kid.  Just like many of us were, your humble blogger here included.  Chelsea represents that little piece of us who once viewed ourselves as The Ugly Duckling, but who - and the wedding pictures prove this to be the case - grew into an elegant, graceful swan.

For me, it's all of the above.  I miss the early '90s.  I think I am screwing up my kids.  I will always be the bookish preteen with braces and curly hair.

In this world of reality show weddings and bachelors and celebrities being married for less than an hour (and breaking engagements multiple times) and people cheating on each other with their kids' friends and doing horrible things to each other in the name of love and politicians telling us what a marraige really should be without telling exactly how such marriages affect us ... this is why I loved every detail of Chelsea's wedding.

Because in the midst of all that crap, all the crap on the world stage, all the things we have to worry about as parents?  In the middle of that, I was glued to everything Chelsea wedding related because this was a breath of fresh air in the muck.  A bit of beauty, a bit of happiness.

And, to borrow an oft-used phrase from Chelsea's dad's campaign and the name of his hometown, a bit of hope.

Photo taken by me at Longwood Gardens, May 2010.  Photo and text copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Susan G. Weidener said...

It was also about romance and true love, youth and all that comes with starting out in life together.

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

That too, Susan! :)