Monday, September 13, 2010

BBAW: First Treasures (Not Just One. Eight of Them.)


And we're here ... the week that celebrates all things book blogging!  I started blogging right before the first Book Blogger Appreciation Week in 2008 and it was through BBAW that I discovered many of the book blogs that I love ... and was inspired to include reviews of books on my own blog (which was mostly a family blog at the time).

During BBAW, the amazing organizers give us different topics to write about each day.  In keeping with the theme of  "A Treasure Chest of Infinite Books and Infinite Blogs," today we're asked to share one great book blog that we've discovered since last year's BBAW.

Well, see, the problem with that is selecting just one.  Um ... can't do it. 

Instead, I give you 8 of my newest favorites.  (I could easily list 8 more, and 8 more after that, and 8 more after that, so I truly hope this isn't offending anyone or causing any hurt feelings.  I'm listing them in alphabetical order to hopefully alleviate some of that. :)  

Amy Reads
I met Amy all-too-quickly at the Book Blogger Convention this past May. She was standing in line (for lunch? for breakfast?) and I was with someone who introduced us.  We exchanged cards, the briefest of pleasantries, and that was that ... until I came home and looked up her blog. 

Amy is a contender for Best New Book Blog for this year's BBAW awards (she's only been blogging since January 1!) and a mighty worthy one at that.  If there was a category for "Blogger Who is Responsible for My Toppling-Over Mt. TBR Pile," Amy would get my vote, hands down.  She's always reading (and reviewing) something incredibly intriguing, often in the realm of women's issues or women's studies, which happens to be a strong interest of mine as well. 

She also is among my new favorites because - well, I'll admit it - she's one of my top commenters.  How can one not love that? 

Dead White Guys: An Irreverent Guide to Classic Literature
I'll admit it:  this one had me as soon as I saw the name. Try to resist clicking on that link after that.  I found Dead White Guys from the Hop, hosted by Jen of Crazy-for-Books.  In this blog, Jane Doe highlights the classics by mixing smarts with snark, making them jump off your computer screen (or dusty shelves) and into your heart. I told my BBAW interview partner that the genre I would like to read more of is the classic novel, and Dead White Guys is a big part of the reason why. More than anyone else in the blogosphere, Jane Doe has the power to make any dead white guy come back to life.

Nonsuch Book
I first became acquainted with Frances' wonderful blog through the Woolf in Winter read-along that she hosted earlier this winter.  (Oh, gosh ... and also Evening All Afternoon, which was the other new-to-me blog discovered during that read-along. Also a must read.) Since then, Nonsuch Book has become one of my favorites.  Like Amy Reads, Frances is always introducing me to new-to-me books.  She has an eclectic blog which is nominated for a BBAW award for Best Writing, a nomination that is incredibly well-deserved.

red headed book child
At the Book Blogger Convention, I sat down at a table with several other bloggers I didn't know. As it turned out, I knew their blogs. All except for Michelle.  She was absolutely hilarious and delightful, and her personality comes across in her uber-enthusiastic blog posts.  We have similar reading tastes, and like Amy Reads, she is a frequent commenter of mine, which I am always appreciative of.  The only bad thing I have to say about Michelle is that I wish she would divulge the name of her reasonably priced but awesome New York hotel that is in close proximity to the Javits Center.  (Just kidding, Michelle ... um, sorta. You know your secret would be safe with me. :)

RobAroundBooks
I love short stories ... and if there is anyone who loves short stories more than me, it's Rob.  (If there's someone who loves short stories more than Rob, I'd like to meet him or her.)  What I love about RobAroundBooks is how he reviews individual short stories.  That's a talent, and one that Rob has in abundance.  I'm always discovering new-to-me writers in his posts. I love when a blogger shares his or her passion for a particular writer's work, which is what Rob has done in regards to Simon Van Booy.  I can't wait to read these stories. 

Roof Beam Reader
Adam writes some of the most thorough and comprehensive reviews I have ever read.  By examining every aspect of a book, he makes his reader more conscientious of how they read.  Like Dead White Guys, Roof Beam Reader focuses on the classics in an entertaining style. Salinger fans won't want to miss this one.

Semicolon
I'm a regular participant in Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books, which I just discovered not too long ago.  Each Saturday, there's a link where we can add our reviews from that week.  It's a great way of discovering new books and other bloggers who are reading similar genres as you.  But Semicolon is a blog worth reading every day of the week, especially for her feature of celebrating authors' work on their birthdays.  Love that!

The Captive Reader
Over the past few weeks I've become more of an active participant in Library Loot, and Claire is one of the hosts (along with Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader).  I'm always finding something in Claire's Library Loot piles that I covet.  (This is not to exclude Marg's wonderful blog ... hers is one that I read prior to last year's BBAW.)

Eight book blogs are definitely not enough.  I could go on and on. I'm loving reading everyone's treasures today and finding way-too-many new-to-me blogs!



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Michelle's hilarious, lol!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Wow, that's quite a list!

Amanda said...

So many great blogs on there!

irisonbooks said...

You featured so many of my favourites! And yes, Amy would win that TBR pile competition in my case as well. I'm so jealous you got to meet her at BEA!

It seems we do have similar taste and I'm ever so glad to meet you! I'm off to add you to my reader!

Sherry said...

Thanks so much. That's a great list, and I don't just say that because I'm on it.

Amy said...

I kind of had issues keeping my list down too... thank you so much for including me! I'm honored, and a little bit shocked! I agree that we did meet very too quickly so next year (hopefully we can both make it!) we will definitely have to try to meet for longer :)

The rest of the blogs are new to me and they all look incredible! Thanks!

Meg said...

Woo, lots of great recommendations and new-to-me blogs here -- I should be busy for a while!

caitieflum said...

Wow, I didn't know a lot of those. I look forward to checking them out!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Wow! That's a great list! I'm familiar with some of them, including Amy Reads and Dead White Guys, but the others are new to me. Thanks for spotlighting them!

Florinda said...

I already know several of the blogs you mentioned, and will quickly make the acquaintance of the others!

Frances said...

Oh my gosh, thanks so much! What a fantastic surprise at the end of a very long day. And you grouped me in such great company including Dead White Guys that frequently makes me laugh.

Beth F said...

Great list -- I know most but not all.