Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BBAW: Unexpected Treasures


This week is Book Blogger Appreciation Week (a very big deal in the book blogging world) and every day there is a different topic on the theme of "A Treasure Chest of Infinite Books and Infinite Blogs" for us to write about.  I'm a little late to the party today due to that little thing called work (and frankly, I'm still so shell-shocked by my state's primary elections yesterday that I needed a little self-imposed ban from the computer, lest I lose what's left of my mind this week). 

Anyway, onto today's writing topic ....

Book bloggers can be some of the most influential people around! Today we invite you to share with us a book or genre you tried due to the influence of another blogger. What made you cave in to try something new and what was the experience like?

Book blogging has completely changed my reading habits.  While one would think I would actually be reading less (due to the blogging and reviewing), the opposite is true.  The more I blog, the more I read.  I know many others can say the same thing. 

One of the best feelings is being at the library or the bookstore and seeing a book that you recognize because of a blog you read.  It's an instant connection, and it's like a friend (for we are all friends, right?) browsing with you, saying, "Oh, that was really good!" or "I couldn't put that down!"

That's what we do here on our blogs, and it has led to my reading many more genres than I ever would have otherwise.  Today I'm highlighting two of them.

Poetry
Before book blogs, I certainly appreciated poetry ... but other than reading nursery rhymes and Shel Silverstein to my kids, I didn't read any poetry.  That's changed tremendously, and I mainly have Serena from Savvy Verse and Wit  to thank for that.  For example, in July she reviewed Tony Hoagland's newest collection, Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty and featured one of his poems as part of her Virtual Poetry Circle.  When I saw this slim volume at the library a few weeks ago, I immediately remembered that one of his poems was on Serena's blog and as a result, I loved the collection and now have a new favorite poet.

I've read four poetry collections this year and have several more in my current library pile.  It's not unusual these days for me to have at least one poetry collection by my bed (they are great to read when you're so tired but you just want to read for a little bit) as well as in my purse. 


Classics
Even though I didn't finish it, I loved the Woolf in Winter read along this year.  I re-read Mrs. Dalloway, which had been (up to that point) the only Woolf I'd read. And while To the Lighthouse wasn't my favorite book, it made the idea of classics just a little less scary. Also, the celebratory events surrounding To Kill a Mockingbird in honor of the 50th anniversary of its publication made me re-read this classic for the first time since high school. 

I doubt either of them would have happened if not for the influence of book bloggers. I haven't read as many classics as I would have liked this year, but I'm hoping to remedy that in 2011.

Looking forward to reading about others' Unexpected Treasures!


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I still don't read poetry, but Kinna of Kinna Reads has me nearly convinced - she posts a poem every week or so and I've loved all of the ones that she has featured. As for classics... I just can't seem to pick them up! Congrats to you on both counts!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Great finds - I like the looks of these.

Serena said...

I'm so glad that my recommendations helped you find some new and great poetry collections to read. I'm tickled pink. Here I thought all those reviews were falling on deaf ears...LOL JK

Thanks for highlighting poetry! I appreciate it and I know the poets do too.

Six Feet Under Blog said...

Ill have to check out these. They sound good!