Monday, September 6, 2010

The Dead Beat: A Dress Code to Die For


Among the books that I purchased in New York was The Dead Beat: Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs, and the Perverse Pleasure of Reading the Obituaries by Marilyn Johnson.  This has been on my wish list for an eternity, so I was thrilled to death to see it at McNally Jackson. 

I cannot wait to read this book because I love reading the obituaries. It is usually one of the very first things I do in the morning. I've been doing this since I was 15, so there's really no hope of my changing now.

From time to time, I come across some great stories and even some funny tidbits in "the deads" - as The Husband calls them - and I thought it might make a fun feature on the blog. I am shamelessly borrowing Marilyn Johnson's title for this, if only because I haven't had any coffee yet.

I found one such tidbit in this morning's obituaries with instructions for what to wear to the deceased's funeral. In honor of today, Labor Day, being the final farewell to summer, thought I'd share with you.

"Dress should be casual and colorful. No suits or black clothing will be tolerated; beachwear if the weather is appropriate."

What a great send-off.  Because, really, in my afterlife, I'm hoping that every day is a perfect beach day.

Photo taken by me, 3/3/2009, at a boutique where I did an event for work. copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I should write my obituary in advance so that I can have something fun in there about what people are allowed to wear..

Chris said...

The deads...lol!

That little tidbit is sweet- I bet they loved the summer.