Friday, September 17, 2010

In Blogs I Trust

photo taken by me in Strathmere, NJ ~ July 2010

"I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible, I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedys, I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra, I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga, I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me..."

John Lennon ~ "God"

According to a national survey by the Associated Press and the National Constitution Center released yesterday, John Lennon's got a lot of company these days.  More than 54% of people are distrustful of ... well, almost everything.  (And given the state of the economy and everything else under the sun, who can really blame them, right?) 

But at the top of the untrustworthy list?  Blogs, banks, and Congress.

Um ... blogs? Really?

I'm not sure what blogs these folks are reading (and I'm sure that out of the katrillion of blogs out there, some are indeed suspect), but I'm willing to say that they aren't the same blogs I read.

The majority of the 721 blogs in my Google Reader (yes, that's not a typo) are comprised heavily of and influenced by book bloggers. There are also a substantial number of blogs written by parents of children who have autism or other challenges; blogs about social justice, women and girls' issues, current events and politics, nonprofits and philanthropy, social media, food, decluttering one's house and the planet, and much more. It's no coincidence that these are all the topics I tend to write about too. (With the exception of the decluttering of one's house ... but there are, actually, some in-the-works posts about that.)


I was thinking about this national lack of confidence (especially with blogs) in terms of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, drawing to a close today and today's BBAW writing topic of Future Treasures. The prompt for today asks us to share what we enjoyed about BBAW and also what our blogging goals are for the next year.

The "what I enjoyed" part is easy.  Like others, I get a kick out of seeing how high I can pile my Google Reader before it topples over.  (I'm thrilled to report that hasn't happened yet.)  Regardless of the topic, I love blogs that make me think about issues in a different way or about issues I might not have been aware of at all.  (On the political front, PunditMom and MomsRising are two that immediately come to mind.  Are they untrustworthy? Certainly not in my opinion.  In fact, dare I say that they're more trustworthy than some "traditional" media.)

And on the book blogging front, I'm drawn to book blogs that introduce me to new ideas and concepts, conflicts and controversies, new ways of thinking and new worlds.  Hopefully I've been able to share some of those with you this week.  I know that you have certainly shared many of your favorites with me, and I (and my Google Reader) thank you immensely for that. 

As for my blog goals for the next year ... well, it looks like you're stuck with more of the same from me.  I'm still planning to talk about a mix of books, the ones on the bestseller lists and the ones on the back shelves.  I'm still going to infuse my book reviews with a personal perspective.  I'm still going to mix them up with stories that make me drag out my soapbox or issues I feel need a wider reach than my immediate community, or a perspective on a local story getting national attention that my personal experience can lend another thought to.  You'll still see recipes for the crockpot and funny things my kids say.  

That's what I do here. I'm not planning on any dramatic changes in this spot and I'm not planning on going anywhere. 

You can trust me on that.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

leeswammes said...

So many subscriptions, I wouldn't be able to keep up with it all! I only have about 50 in my Reader and that is plenty!

Happy reading and blogging!

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

Oh, leeswammes, I never admitted to being able to keep up with them all ... :)

Amy said...

Someone with more blogs in their goggle reader than I have! I love it!! And I'm very happy there won't be many changes, because I love your blog just the way it is :)

bermudaonion said...

I don't understand blogs being on that list either. Of course, if I found a blogger to be suspect, I just wouldn't read their blog.

781 blogs in your Reader? You are Wonder Woman!!