Saturday, September 25, 2010

Library Loot, Doubled


I skipped Library Loot last week due to the BBAW festivities, so this post features double the loot - last week's and this week's. 

And what a haul it was.  I want to read all of these, right now. 

First, last week's loot. 



 
Scroogenomics: Why You Shouldn't Buy Presents for the Holidays, by Joel Waldfogel

Truly, a book only The Grinch himself could love. But seriously, how could I not pick this up after seeing that cover? And with two kids who are talking about birthday and Christmas presents, this is a nice little book to pick up in the middle of a tantrum. "Oh, honey, I think I need to read why I shouldn't buy any presents."

I'll pick up my Bad Mommy award whenever it's finished being engraved.

The Blind Contessa's New Machine, by Carey Wallace
I hadn't heard of this before but oh, boy ... does it ever sound intriguing!  I'm thinking this is going to be a Read-a-Thon book because it seems to be one that is meant to be read in one sitting.  Plus its small size makes it conducive to doing so.

Bad Marie, by Marcy Dermansky
It's a Harper Perennial book and I've seen good reviews of this all over the blogs.

Only in New York: An Exploration of the World's Most Fascinating, Frustrating, and Irrepressible City, by Sam Roberts
A map of the Bronx Zoo fell out of this one when I picked it up. I'm keeping it in there.  I think I saw this at McNally Jackson in New York and put it down, so I was thrilled to see it at the library.

Saving Sky, by Diane Stanley
This is a middle grade novel, something I never would have read before blogging, and a genre which I don't often read unless I'm previewing something of Betty's.  This one is a little too mature for her, but it intrigued me so I picked it up. It's about a 13 year old who lives off the grid (no TV - which I could probably do without - and no Internet, which would be the death of me) in a world where terrorists strike at random and the country is at war. 

Stonewall Kitchen Breakfast: A Collection of Great Morning Meals, by Jonathan King, Jim Stott, and Kathy Gunst
There are some seriously delicious looking recipes in this cookbook.  I can't look at this on an empty stomach.

Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich
As if I thought the breakfast book was mouthwatering, then I get this.  It's divided into the different regions of Italy, with recipes and photos galore.  Yum.

And now, this week's loot:


A Mango-Shaped Space, by Wendy Mass
This is at least my third re-loot of this one.  Hopefully this time I will get to it before it is due back.

Juggling Fire, by Joanne Bell
I've picked this up at the library for at least four weeks straight now.  I think that's a sign that I need to take it home with me, don't you think?

Twenty Boy Summer, by Sarah Ockler
Because I've seen it reviewed everywhere. No other reason. (Oh, this one is being challenged, right? A possible banned book? All the more reason to read it then.)

If I Stay, by Gayle Forman
Our state has an awards program each summer where several books are nominated in children's and young adult categories and put on a special display in the library.  They're only allowed to be checked out for one week, with no renewals; the idea is that you read all of nominees and then vote for the best book.  If I Stay was a contender for this, and hence, was unavailable all summer.  Hence, seeing it back on the shelf made me grab it before it disappeared again.

The Quickening Maze, by Adam Founds
The "Finalist for the Man Booker Prize" label on thie cover caught my attention for this one. 

Wench, by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
Because it looks intriguing and I've seen it on several blogs.

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
Because I am the only person who has never read this - nor any Neil Gaiman book, except for Crazy Hair (a children's book) - and it will be perfect the the R.I.P. challenge.

Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot Like Laughter, by Michael J. White
No doubt about it, this one had me at the title.  I mean, really ... with a title like that? How could you not pick it up?

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, by Daniel H. Pink
I like books like this.  Plus, given that I'm a fundraiser, I thought this would be of special interest.

The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters
Another one that I've seen everywhere and that sounds perfect for the R.I.P. Challenge.  (Not like I've actually signed up for it yet.  Guess I'd better do that before it is over.) 

On our way out of the library, another patron noticed my overflowing tote bag and commented on such. 

"How do you have time to read so many books?" she asked. 

Odd question, I thought, coming from someone in the library parking lot.  Then I realized that maybe there are people who go to the library and are able to just check out one book at a time (The Husband falls into that category.)

I paused and then said, "We make time."



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, you got a lot of great books! I'm interested in how the New York book is...

you know, around here a lot of people go to the library just to use the computer/internet... I always wonder when I'm at the library who is there that is NOT a reader, lol

Amy said...

I love that - that you responded that you make time! GREAT collection of books, quite a few that I want to read at some point :) Enjoy!

irisonbooks said...

Great loot :) There are many books in there that I would love to read myself someday.

Trish said...

Great response!

I really liked The Mango-Shaped Space - have read it a couple of times actually. Hope you get to it this time. :)