Friday, September 3, 2010

Library Loot Sept 1-7: Take Two!


This might come as a shocker, but this week I only borrowed two books from the library.

I know.  Two!

Perhaps I've learned a bit of restraint (not likely) or else everyone stocked up for the long holiday with unwelcome guest Earl, or maybe I just happen to have half the library's collection on my night table. Regardless of the reason, I didn't see much that grabbed my attention this week.

Which, given the stacks of books I already have checked out, is a good thing. 

Here are the two books I got:

Memoir: A History, by Ben Yagoda. I checked this out before and it was always due back or requested before I could read it.  So, hopefully this time will be it.

From The Washington Post: "From Augustine's Confessions to Augusten Burroughs's Running with Scissors, from Julius Caesar to Ulysses S. Grant, from Mark Twain to David Sedaris, the art of memoir has had a fascinating life, and deserves its own biography. "As Yagoda says: 'Memoir has become the central form of the culture: not only the way stories are told, but the way arguments are put forth, products and properties marketed, ideas floated, acts justified, reputations constructed or salvaged. How did we come to this pass? The only way to answer that question is to go back a couple of thousand years and tell the story from the beginning,'" which is just what Yagoda does in this "excellent" history (The Washington Post).

It's only fitting that my other book would be - you guessed it - a memoir.

Wishing for Snow: A Memoir, by Minrose Gwin.

I was just browsing in the short story section of the library when I stumbled across this one and snatched it up.  I just finished (and loved) The Queen of Palmyra,Iso I'm interested in reading Minrose Gwin's first book. 

According to her website,  "[i]n this brave and beautifully composed tribute to her mother, Minrose Gwin accomplishes something rare in the craft of the memoir: not merely a record of a devastating mother-daughter relationship but a redemptive act of artistic witness as well. In telling the story of her mentally ill poet mother, Erin Taylor Clayton Pitner, Gwin looks backward and forward at a southern family, linking personal and cultural malaise while also attempting to envision the person her mother longed to be, the woman Gwin never knew.

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire (The Captive Reader) and Marg (ReadingAdventures) that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!




copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Memoir sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy your loot. Hope Earl stays far away.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I've seen mentions of Memoir: A History in a few places and all have been positive. As a fan of memoirs in general, it's definitely a book I'm interested in.

Enjoy your loot!

Mollie said...

It's not always about quantity! Those look like good finds. Enjoy your loot!