Monday, October 25, 2010

A Halloween Treat

It started a few years ago, when my mother-in-law wanted to see her grandchildren dressed in their costumes on Halloween, but logistics became too cumbersome for her to drive to two different houses in one chaotic evening.

Hence, the birth of what is now known as Mom-Mom's Halloween Party.  I think this year's event (which was held on Saturday) was either the 4th or 5th Annual Halloween Party.

It consists of activities, games, food, and of course, desserts and candy.  

The kids started by painting pumpkins (this is my almost 8 year old nephew's pumpkin) which would then become the centerpieces for the buffet table.

Betty's painted pumpkin masterpiece.


Our 2 year old nephew was a puppy.

"Freeze Dance" was one of the activities. 
I hit a different setting on my camera by mistake and the photo turned out
like this ... which I think is kind of cool.

Halloween Bingo was one of the games my mother-in-law had planned. 

She also got a pinata in the shape of a pumpkin and filled it with little toys like Mardi Gras beads, yo-yos, and other things ... and completely forgot the candy.

Dinner was "mummy dogs" (hot dogs wrapped in dough), baked beans, vegetable lasagna, salad, and breadsticks.

We brought these Halloween sugar cookies, as baked by my super-talented friend who owns

There can never be too many desserts. We had a cupcake tower (including several pumpkin whoopie pies by Michelle), the sugar cookies, a chocolate cake, and pumpkin pie.


Dunking a cookie into my coffee. Boo got a kick out of a cookie being named for him (and yes, he did ask where the Betty was).

Thanks again for making Halloween such a special treat, Mom!

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

nomadreader said...

I confess to not being a very big fan of Halloween, but these traditions sounds like so much fun. Also, I am now craving frosted sugar cookies. Those look amazing!

Erin said...

Aww, how cool! What a great solution to the problem. And I'm sure no one minds having an extra Halloween party!

I used to love painting pumpkins when I was younger, so I didn't have to dig through the pumpkin guts. Plus, they last longer!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Well, where IS the Betty? Love the tradition and all the goodies look delicious. What did Betty and Boo go as?

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I love those cookies!! We spent our Halloween with the rest our family at our Granny's house last Halloween, only a few days after our Pops died. We enjoyed all the kids together in their costumes and the childlike fun of Halloween so much that we're doing it again this year. Pops would have loved it!!