Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ready, Set ... Read-a-Thon!


Are you ready for some Read-a-thoning?  I'm planning to participate, although my preparations are a bit behind the 8-ball.  It has been a busier-than-usual week on the home front here, to say the least.  And frankly, I need a bit of a temporary escape from my life so even though I know I won't read for the entire 24 hours, this event comes at the perfect time.

This is my third Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon. (If you don't know what that is, all the info is here.) I was only a cheerleader for my first one (in April 2009), then a reader AND a cheerleader last October before getting to 244 pages before a migraine knocked me cold.  I'm an unofficial cheerleader this time around; I didn't sign up to be one, but I know I won't be able to resist seeing what all my book blogging friends are up to. 

Anyway, here's my pile of books:


I have to say a few things about the first two, since they are books in progress. Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing is an amazing collection of eight short stories by Lydia Peele.  I know that they are amazing because I've read six of them so far and loved each one.  I had thought that I would finish this before the Read-a-Thon, but life interfered this week.  I will say this:  these are wonderful stories.  Simply wonderful.  For those who don't like short stories, I really encourage you to give this collection a try.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog is probably a surprise among these, if you've read my recent posts on how much difficulty I am finding with this book.  I have only 75 pages left in this (thank God) and you know, the ending better be damn good at this point because right now this might land among my least favorite books of all time.  I just have to get this one over and done with. 

And for the others:

The Blind Contessa's New Machine, by Carey Wallace
The Town that Food Saved: How One Community Found Vitality in Local Food, by Ben Hewitt
The Inheritance, by Louisa May Alcott
Come to Me, Stories by Amy Bloom
Help Me, Jacques Cousteau, by Gil Adamson
Juggling Fire, by Joanne Bell
Lay Back the Darkness, poems by Edward Hirsch

I don't have any snacks planned because I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow in the worst way.  So that - and taking Betty to acting class and doing some things around the house - needs to be part of my day tomorrow with the Read-a-thon.  But there's leftover pizza from tonight's dinner for lunch and I'll probably make something in the crockpot or taco night or something easy.

Speaking of Betty, she is also doing the Read-a-Thon with me.  She did this last October, and did pretty well.  I think she read for about 2 or 3 hours.  This time around, she tells me that she plans to read 61 books.

And with that, I'm off to bed ... and maybe a few pages of reading.  After all, it is officially now October 9 and I know it must be 8 a.m. somewhere, right?  :) 

Happy Read-a-Thoning everyone!


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

7 comments:

booksploring said...

I understand what you mean about The Elegance of the Hedgehog! I tried reading Muriel Barbery's The Gourmet and struggled...only got halfway through before I gave up!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I had never heard of such a thing as a readathon. We have a full plate this weekend but I think our whole family could participate in something like this.

caitieflum said...

Have fun reading! That looks like a great stack!

kinnareads said...

I love the poetry of Edward Hirsch! Enjoy your reading and remember to take breaks when you need them. Have lots of fun :) Cheering you on!

Cass said...

Enjoy your reading!!!!

jensfgeek said...

Hope you're having fun reading today! Good Luck!

softdrink said...

(Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

Just as the books fill the shelves,
Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
So may the joy of the readathon
Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

By the power of every word on the page
May your book be delightful,
As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

Let the power of the images evoked by words
Keep you stay awake long through the night
May no obstacle impede
Your day filled with books.

For all of those who are reading today
Who follow in the path of Dewey
May your day be filled with the four blessings
Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.