Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Scaring Up Some History

A church on the same street as my kids' school.
Taken during their Halloween parade,
October 2009.
With Halloween upon us, one of the most frightening things out there these days is the Senate race in my state.

I've written about it before, and you're all smart enough to figure out the who's and where's of which I speak.  I'm just not naming names or places because frankly, I don't want the search hits and I really don't want to be connected in any way, shape, or form with someone who needs to ask questions like these:



"Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?"

That was, apparently, a source of confusion this morning by the Senatorial candidate from my state, who uttered this very question at a debate this morning.  A debate, mind you, that was held at a LAW SCHOOL.  You can read the whole article right here.

When she was instructed in these basic tenets of American History 101, the candidate appeared to be genuinely surprised.

"You're telling me that's in the First Amendment?"

This is not a media-manufactured gotcha moment. This is some scary shit, people.  Some downright scary shit. 

And even scarier is the fact that some are quite happy with - and hell-bent on - the notion of sending this woman to the Senate. 


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

6 comments:

caitieflum said...

Oy. I have seen her commercials since I am in Jersey and I hope for all of us she does not win.

pixiemama said...

I don't even know where to begin with this. UGH.

Niksmom said...

What frightens me the most is the fact that all the money pouring in to this person's campaign funds seems to be coming from OUT of state. So, while espousing states' rights, the candidate actually risks being beholden to those who have no stake in our state beyond a potentialy controlling seat in the Senate.

I suspect our founding fathers are spinning in their graves for no small number of reasons.

J.C. Montgomery said...

I feel your pain. We are having a doozy of a battle here between Harry Reid and this...this...oh read for yourself:

http://firedoglake.com/2010/06/30/sharron-angle-separation-of-church-and-state-is-unconstitutional-thomas-jefferson-was-%e2%80%9cmisquoted%e2%80%9d/

[heavy sigh]

Kate said...

Ugh. Isn't that unbelievable?

Mel said...

I've heard about her. She scares me. A lot.

Also *waves* Hi! haha. I recently saw a link to brokeandbookish (I think that's the name?) and they had a post with links to a bunch of book blogs and I think from there one of those people had a link to your memoir challenge, which is kool. I think I won't officially sign up, but I've read 3 this year, so I do believe I shall finish the challenge anyway! hehe. Anyway, you seem quite intelligent, I like your posts! ^^