Sunday, October 10, 2010

Secretariat, A Winner of a Movie


One of the horses being shown
at our State Fair, July 2010

I am, admittedly, not much of a horse person. 

As a young girl, I never had the desire to ride horses.  I'm pretty sure I never asked for a pony.  I never read Misty of Chincoteague or National Velvet.

Betty, on the other hand, loves horses. (Truthfully, between the horses and saving the orcas and the tigers, I don't think there's an animal that girl doesn't love.) Every week, she checks out at least two or three books about caring for horses from the library (never mind the fact that we don't own a horse, nor do we have any immediate plans to get one). She has been talking about taking horseback lessons for three years.

At first I chalked it up to typical 6, 7, and 8 year old girl stuff, but she is relentless about learning to ride and I'm finally getting the hint that she is kind of serious.  

For the last week or so, her conversations have been all about one horse:  Secretariat.  She's seen the commercials, she knows the lyrics to the theme song, she's been begging me to take her to see the movie. 

So on a long weekend that saw the need for both kids to have a break from each other, Betty and I headed to the movies to take in the magic of Secretariat.

I must say that I really enjoyed this movie.  It was such a pleasant surprise to see a film that lives up to its PG rating and family friendly billing.  It reminded me of the types of movies my grandparents would take me and my brother to see in the theater - "Benji," "Herbie the Love Bug," "The Black Stallion."

There was nothing questionable in the way or sex or violence or language in "Secretariat." There's nothing that I have to sit down and explain tonight, or get a book about from the library, or plan for a slew of visits to the therapist.

I also liked its message that women can be players in a man's world. That might have been a little over Betty's head, but kudos to Disney for making a movie in this day and age with a strong woman in a lead role who is fully-clothed and not spouting profanities from a potty-mouth.

"Secretariat" is a beautiful yet simple movie about the importance of family and legacy, about the bond that develops while caring for animals, about believing in something and believing in ourselves.

It has me believing that I might be more of a horse person than I thought I was.

Highly recommended.


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

No comments: