Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Sunday Salon


It is a nothing-to-do, nowhere to be type of Sunday that comes on the heels of a busier-than-usual Saturday, making it completely justifiable to still be pajama-clad on the couch at 2:30 in the afternoon.

I'm catching up on blogs, The Husband is watching our Eagles, and the crockpot is cooking this week's Sunday soup (Slow Cooked Broccoli Soup with Garlic and Olive Oil), Hopefully I'll have a chance to read some of what will be my 60th book of the year (Come to Me, Stories by Amy Bloom).

Yes, indeed ... Come to Me marks a record number of books for me.  We're at that time of the year when we start to see our reading year start to crystallize in terms of records set and challenges met, which is always kind of fun.  I've finished five of my Reading Challenges so far (Women Unbound, Support Your Local Library, All Things Alcott, Essay Reading, and my own Memorable Memoir Challenge).  Considering I signed up for a ridiculous number of challenges this year, I'm pretty pleased.

This has been another great reading week.  Earlier this week I finished Jane Mendelsohn's American Music, which I'm now recommending to EVERYONE.  I absolutely loved this. I'm not sure if it actually is a book that will appeal to everyone, but that doesn't matter ... I just think more people should read and experience the wonder that is this one. 

I also started and finished Heather O'Neill's debut novel, Lullabies for Little Criminals, one that I hadn't heard of until I was browsing in the library stacks.  This is a Harper Perennial book, and while not quite as strong as some of the other HP novels I've read, this is very good.  It's about a 12 year old girl named Baby (her real name) who is neglected by her 25 year old father Jules (yeah, do the math) and falls victim - despite her resistance - to the lure of street life.  Very sobering and kind of gritty. 

My audiobook is still Judith Warner's incredibly well-researched We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication. It's hard to say that I like this - because it isn't the sort of book you enjoy - but I think that Ms. Warner is doing a tremendous job presenting the facts and stories of real children and parents in connection with what is such a controversial and hot-button issue for so many. 

I've read several of Amy Bloom's short stories before in various anthologies, but never any of her actual books.  That's being remedied by my being three stories into Come to Me.  "Sleepwalking" is my favorite so far.  It's the sort of story where you can see so clearly what is going to happen, yet you're surprised when it actually does. 

Now I'm off to catch up on some blogs and see what you're up to today ....  



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I've had several people recommend Lullabies for Little Criminals to me. It looks interesting! And that soup looks delicious. It's getting to be the time of year when all I want to eat is soup!

Nise' said...

It so much fun to sign up for a ridiculous amount of reading challenges! Congrats on finishing 5 of them!

Alyce said...

I love Sundays like that. While I did wear my pajamas for the majority of the day, I still had to run some errands. :)