Thursday, November 25, 2010

All That I'm Allowed: Happy Thanksgiving!

And I've got all that I'm allowed
It'll do for me, I'm thankful now
The walls get higher every day
The barriers get in the way
But I see hope in every cloud
And I'm thankful, thankful
I'm thankful, So thankful
I'm thankful, I've got all that I'm allowed.

~ Elton John, "All That I'm Allowed"

(If this post seems vaguely familiar, then you get a gold star for being a loyal Betty and Boo Chronicles reader.  Part of this is from a post originally published on Thanksgiving Day 2008.) 

Thanksgiving officially became my favorite holiday nine years ago when, just as most people were sitting down to their dinner, Betty and Boo graced us with their presence by being born. They are, of course, at the top of my "I'm thankful for ..." list, along with The Husband and our family and friends.

We had a relaxing morning, just the four of us, watching the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day parade (it's sacrilegious in our house to watch any other) and now football.  Not soon enough for the children, we will go over the river and through the tolls to two grandmothers' houses. 

After dessert, The Husband and I will depart, leaving the kids that I am thankful for behind to enjoy a fun-filled weekend of decadence with the grandparents.  The Husband and I have a wild weekend of Thankfully Reading and Thankful-for-the-DVR-and-On-Demand planned. (We have quite a few episodes of Rescue Me, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, and In Treatment to catch up on.) We don't plan to move too far from our respective perches on the couch, in a house that I am grateful for. 

This year more than ever, we as a people need Thanksgiving. It comes at a time when for so many, including us, the walls certainly seem to get higher everyday and barrier after barrier gets in the way. One day isn't going to change that.

For now, for today, I'm thankful that we have all that we're allowed.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Florinda said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, and happy birthday to the twins! I'm thankful I had the chance to meet you off-line and hang out with you in NYC this year, and hope we can do it again in 2011!

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful post -- thank YOU. Happy Thanksgiving!

Erin said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful weekend lined up! Enjoy your time with your family as well as your break from the craziness!