Monday, November 22, 2010

Library Loot: November 18-23


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Marg and Claire that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.

Before we make our weekly trek to the library tomorrow night, it would probably be a good idea for me to get my most recent Library Loot up. 
(And yes, those are indeed my previous week's looted books in the background of this photo ... and I know that technically, these books should have been in last week's post.  The more books the merrier, right?)


What He's Poised to Do, Stories by Ben Greenman
This is apparently a Harper Perennial book.  Sold.

Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann
This has been on my "want to read" list for what seems like forever, so I was thrilled to come across this while browsing the stacks.  

We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson
This one is supposedly hard to find, no?  Anyway, same as above ... I am really excited about this one. 

How It Ended, Stories by Jay McInerney
A re-loot, for probably the third time now.  I absolutely love me some Jay McInerney, one of my literary crushes.   

Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin
If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I'm a bit of a political junkie and can't easily resist such a book.  This has been on my "want to read" list for awhile, plus I'm interested to compare it to David Plouffe's The Audacity to Win and Anne Kornblut's Notes from a Cracked Ceiling, both of which I liked (see my reviews here and here).

The Monsters of Templeton, by Lauren Groff
I really liked Groff's short story collection, Delicate Edible Birds, and have been wanting to read this novel since reading that.  (Have you detected a theme with this post yet?)

Where the God of Love hangs Out, by Amy Bloom
A fairly recent re-loot.  I'm on an Amy Bloom kick right now.

When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present, by Gail Collins
This is likely going back to the library unread, unless I manage to read American Women (Gail Collins's previous book) first.  I own that one, and this one is probably going to make it onto my holiday wish list. 

There was also a second, unexpected library visit during the week, where I scooped up these four books.  (I was rather impressed with myself with only getting four books, but then I remembered my previous loot ... not to mention Mt. TBR that is taking over my night table and the floor surrounding it.)


Commuters, by Emily Gray Tedrowe
Another Harper Perennial book that I've heard so much about from book bloggers.

Molly Fox's Birthday, by Deirdre Madden
I don't know much about this, aside from it being a finalist for the Orange Prize.

I Curse the River of Time, by Per Petterson
Beth Kephart praised this one, so based on her recommendation, I thought I would give this a try.

The Last Talk with Lola Faye, by Thomas H. Cook
I've been picking this up during the last few library visits and decided that it is probably time to check it out.

More to come after Tuesday night!



copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's a lot of great books -- and some intriguing ones that I haven't read. "Let the Great World Spin" was easily my most favorite book of the last few years. I adored it.

JoAnn said...

Molly Fox's Birthday was an amazing character study... read it last spring, but never seemed to get around to blogging about it.

Amy said...

I just finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle and loved it. Very creepy.
www.newcenturyreading.com

Erin said...

I'm not even going to name all the books you ended up with that I want to read -- there are too many! Great choices!