Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Month's Worth of Library Loot

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Claire from The Captive Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they've checked out of the library that week.

This is what your pile of library books looks like when you don't do a Library Loot post for a month.


Oh.  Ahem.  I should clarify that to say what my Library Loot pile looks like after more than a month. Yours probably looks a little more ... reasonable.

Yes, this represents more than four weeks' worth of visits to our library.  Clearly, this problem of mine isn't going away anytime in the near future. 

Here's what I've been looting since September 25:

Left pile:
The Quickening Maze, by Adam Foulds (audio)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (audio and print versions)
Innocence, by Jane Mendelsohn
Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It, Stories by Maile Meloy
The Town that Food Saved: How One Community Found Vitality in Local Food, by Ben Hewitt
The Inheritance, by Louisa May Alcott (this is a re-loot)
Love Invents Us, by Amy Bloom
Behind the Scenes at the Museum, by Kate Atkinson
The Happiness Project, Or. Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun, by Gretchen Rubin
A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan (another re-loot)
Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training, by Tom Jokinen  
This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All, by Marilyn Johnson
The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company that is Connecting the World, by David Kirkpatrick
What I Didn't See and Other Stories, by Karen Joy Fowler
Too Much Happiness, Stories by Alice Munro

right pile:
The Solitude of Prime Numbers, by Paolo Giordano (audio and print)
The Wisdom of Sam: Observations on Life from an Uncommon Child, by Daniel Gottlieb
Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is As It Seems, edited by Rod Carveth and James B. South
The Unnamed, by Joshua Ferris
The Secret Life of Emily Dickinson
Picnic, Lightning, Poems by Billy Collins
Not My Boy! A Father, a Son, and One Family's Journey with Autism, by Rodney Peete (another re-loot)
The White House Garden Cookbook: Healthy Ideas from the First Family for Your Family, by Clara Silverstein  
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by Katherine Howe
Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market, by Deborah Madison
Girls on the Edge: The Four Factors Driving the New Crisis for Girls - Sexual Identity, the Cyberbubble, Obsessions, Environmental Toxins, by Leonard Sax
The Sonderberg Case, by Elie Wiesel
The Lake Shore Limited, by Sue Miller
Later, at the Bar, Stories by Rebecca Barry  (another re-loot)
The Irresistible Henry House, by Lisa Grunwald
Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin

We usually go to the library on Tuesday evenings, but they were closed lthis Tuesday for Election Day ... which, in my case, is probably a good thing indeed. 

The library staff is probably kind of grateful to have a break from us.

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! That is quite a pile of books! Happy reading :)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

oh my gracious!! This disease is better than the one I have...I think I need to OWN all of the books I want to read...OY!!

booksploring said...

Wow wow wow!! I think I may have drooled a little ;-) Some great books in there. So jealous because my library only lets me borrow 10 books at a time. Constantly going back to return and get more. But I guess it does help me keep my pile under control ;-)

Kelly said...

Our pile often looks like that, but rarely with books for me read. I think In the last decade, I've borrowed 5 books for myself (and bought a few more than that)? You've inspired me to start reading more. I love it, but the "I just don't have time" bug has been living here. I'm squashing him and I'll make time...though I'll never keep up with you!

avisannschild said...

Oh my goodness, Melissa, your piles are intense! Happy reading!

Mollie said...

Eh probably not! My books are all just scattered around- between my room and my car. My pile is probably comparable! Enjoy!!!

Marg said...

If I was to stack up all the books that I have out from the library it would look something like that!

Enjoy your loot!

Cass said...

Oh wow, I want to read almost all of the books you have pictured here! Enjoy!!

Gavin said...

Wow! I sometime have 10 to 15 and never manage to read them all. Good luck with all these books!

Lisa said...

I think that pile deserves some kind of award.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Holy cats!!! That is quite a loot! he library I work at has a 100 item limit so lots of patrons go crazy like you! I think my largest loot was 35 items? Mostly children's books but I LOVE to request items in. LOVE IT..saved me so much money.

From this library worker's perspective, I love patrons like you! ..of course, i don't mind shelving!

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Wow! I do love a big pile of books and it's been a while since I saw a haul remotely near this size!

Enjoy your loot!