Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankfully Reading Weekend: One Book Finished!


What a lazy, decadent Friday this was!  I confess that I didn't get out of my pajamas the entire day.  It was the perfect first day of the 2010 Thankfully Reading Weekend - gray and gloomy skies, kids at the grandparents' house for the weekend, dinner from the crockpot (Tamale Pie).

And believe it or not, I actually started and finished an entire book!  A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass was a great selection for this read-a-thon.  I found the writing to be well-done and well-paced,  I connected with all the characters, and the theme of feeling different from one's classmates is one that I could definitely relate to. Before reading A Mango-Shaped Space, I'd only heard of synthesia through reading reviews of this young adult novel, and in that respect the novel was incredibly interesting.   
I'm not sure what I will read next.  I have a few more young adult/coming of age novels due back to the library soon (Twenty Boy Summer, Saving Sky, Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot Like Laughter) but I usually don't like reading so much YA back-to-back.   Then again, knocking these books off will put me within sight of actually finishing the YA challenge this year ... and help in reducing the number of library books I have checked out. 

I've also been catching up on blogs (am loving that my Google Reader isn't as stuffed as usual!), and The Husband and I watched four episodes of "Rescue Me" this evening.  We're still on Season 5 and with 7 more episodes to go, we might have another Tommy Gavin marathon tomorrow. 

For now, I think I might curl up with some more of Alice Munro's short stories from Too Much Happiness ... which this blissful weekend is delivering ten-fold. 


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad to hear that you had a nice and relaxing day. I hope the rest of your weekend is just as great. Also, I've heard a lot of good things about that book so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

bermudaonion said...

I love Wendy Mass but haven't heard of that book - I'll have to look for it.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! (a few days late)

I've been catching up on my reading also. Today, mild weather, time to put up lights, ugh.

readerbuzz said...

I was sorting and resorting my TBR this week and I ran across a copy of Mango-Shaped. Sometimes I think I have actually purchased every book on earth...if only I knew where I'd stashed each one.

I'm happy you enjoyed this reading weekend. And I agree with your choice of Too Much Happiness to wrap up.