Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Recap and Thankfully Reading Weekend Kick Off


That's me, right there ... your Thankfully Reading turkey.  Instead of shopping, I am spending this weekend participating in the Thankfully Reading Weekend, which is being hosted by Beth Fish Reads, Jenn's Bookshelves (which has the linky for any kick off posts), and Devourer of Books.

But first, a brief recap of Thanksgiving.  For the past couple of years, we've stayed home - just a small feast for four (two of whom don't eat turkey, so that's easy), parades, and all-day football.  Complete and utter bliss for all. 

This year, we drove 2 hours to my mom's and had dinner with my mom, stepfather, brother, sister-in-law, and niece.  The Husband and I were trying to remember the last time we all sat down at the same table together for Thanksgiving, and we believe it has been at least 6 years.  (Four of those years were spent with my brother and I stubbornly not speaking and hence, not seeing each other much at family functions.) 

Conversation remained blissfully politics-free (had any of the dishes not turned out, my mother surely would have blamed President Obama), there was minimal fighting among the cousins, and I enjoyed a game of UNO with my sister-in-law and niece (who also "interviewed" me for her 2nd grade class family heritage project). 

After dessert, it was off to my in-laws where we had more dessert.  Betty and Boo are spending the weekend there with the grandparents "doing whatever we want, because Mom-Mom always lets us" (according to Boo).  The Husband and I are doing the same, and I'll pick them up on Sunday.

Since my Thanksgiving weekend is a five-day extravaganza this year, I celebrated by starting Thankfully Reading a little early, on Wednesday evening.  (Don't tell anyone.)   I sat down after dinner and started reading Bad Marie by Marcy Dermansky, and was so captivated that I didn't put it down all night and promptly wrote a review.  Suffice it to say this will be one of my favorites for this year.

I'm also reading Alice Munro's latest short story collection, Too Much Happiness, and read the second story "Fiction" before collapsing into bed last night for a night of fitful and bizarre dreams. (Why is my sleep always whacked whenever the kids are not home? I must be cursed.) I liked the first story, "Dimensions" a bit better, but this is the first time I've read Munro and I'm glad to finally discover her. 

OK, so those were my unofficial Thankfully Reading selections.  Now that we're all official, I'm planning to spend some time today with A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass.  I've had this out from the library several times, and have heard great things about it. 

I don't have a plan for which books I'm reading for this event.  I'm leaning more towards shorter books and YA, but there are a few chunksters awaiting their turn too. 

All right, that's enough rambling from me.  Off to read some blogs, perhaps write some blog posts to have ready for the crazy days to come in December (right now I am more in a blogging mode as opposed to reading) and whatever else this laziest of days brings.

Happy Thankfully Reading Weekend, everyone!




copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I was completely in love with Bad Marie!! I also opened it up (2 weeks ago I think?) and promptly read it straight through.. while drinking wine and sitting by the fire!

That reminds me, I should probably write a review of it :)

The Well Read Wife said...

Off to buy Bad Marie! It sounds so good!

Beth F said...

I'm so happy you loved Bad Marie!

And I'm also glad you've joined us for a weekend of reading.