Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The"Too-Many-Reviews-to-Write-and-Too-Little-Time" Conundrum ... and a Solution?

Book bloggers, can I see a show of hands if any of this sounds familiar?

Back in the spring or summer of this year, you read a book that you enjoyed.  You want to tell all your readers about it, but ... well, you kind of don't remember the plot or characters too well.  The details are a bit fuzzy and you find yourself looking at Barnes and Noble or Amazon or whatever to refresh your memory - that is, when you're not staring at a blinking cursor wondering what to say about this wonderful, should-be-getting more attention book.

Meanwhile, that unwritten review or unlinked item on your sidebar continues to drive you batshit. Along with the dozen or so other reviews needing to be written.

Sound familiar yet?

At the same time, you read a gazillion blogs and you stumble across (or remember) a review that is EXACTLY what you would have said ... if you'd had gotten your act together and written said review. 

So, I propose a simple solution.  (Which may or may not be an original idea, because in all likelihood people are already doing this and I'm just woefully unawares. Wouldn't be the first time. I'm always the last to know things.)

What if we had some sort of reciprocal agreement that would work like this: 

When we see a review of a book we've read but have yet to review, perhaps invite that blogger to "guest post" his or her review on your blog, with proper attribution, of course.  Cut, paste, and voila!  Review done!  You get the satisfaction of completing a review, and a blogger friend might get a bit of extra traffic or a new follower or two to his or her blog.  Chances are, the blogger who has already reviewed the book will be thrilled to get a little extra mileage out of a review that he or she spent time writing. 

We're crossing off a to-do on lists that are already way too long at this time of year.  I mean, I've seen posts from people who are concerned that they have 8, 10, even more than two dozen reviews that need writing.  We don't need this kind of pressure on ourselves, do we, especially during this crunch-time of the year?  No, I think not.

For example: I read The Book Thief by Markus Zuszak months ago.  Like, in March or something.  Yet for whatever reason, I never got around to writing the review.  I know life is way too short for me to be even remotely concerned about this and that nobody probably noticed or cared that I didn't review The Book Thief.  But there is something about this unwritten review that is just nagging at me.  It drives me nuts when I see it unlinked on my sidebar. You know what I'm talking about, don't you? 

Yeah, I know you do. 

I'm sure there are people who are already doing this, and who have been doing this for awhile, so this doesn't need to be a new project with its own meme or button or linky-link or what have you.  It could just be part and parcel of what we book bloggers do, in the spirit of giving and helping one another out and community and all that peace-and-goodwill-kind-of-warm-and-fuzzy stuff, y'know?

If you want, you could write a post listing your yet-to-be-written reviews and chances are, one of your readers might have a review of their own to offer up as a guest post. 

So, who is with me?  And more importantly ... who has a great review of The Book Thief that they would like to guest post here on The Betty and Boo Chronicles?


copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I like this idea. I've been contemplating doing a review that's just collecting quotes and thoughts from other reviews I have really liked, properly linked and attributed, of course. I especially want to do that for popular books when I don't think I have much to add other than, "Read it!"

I have a short review of The Book Thief, but it is not very good :)

http://www.sophisticateddorkiness.com/2009/05/a-duo-of-mini-reviews/

pixiemama said...

Do you keep a journal or notebook? I used to. I listed title, author, date I read the book, plot, what I liked or didn't like about the book. Not sure why I stopped (shouldn't have) - that was an excellent practice.

:)

I just began reading a book last night that I have no recollection of purchasing. None. No idea where it came from or when, just noted that at has a Borders sticker on it from 2007, and that it appears to never have been read. Hmm.

Florinda said...

I haven't read The Book Thief yet so I can't help you there, but I think this is a terrific idea. Hope you get some takers...or better yet, start a trend!

booksploring said...

Ah! I hear you...I'm about 6 reviews behind right now and details are beginning to get fuzzy!

Erin said...

I like this idea! I've considered just linking to a review I've liked, but never treating it like a guest post. I'd totally be up for that, as long as the linking and attribution and such are taken care of, which I think most bloggers are good about.

Unfortunately, Book Thief is one of those books I'd need to borrow a review of, so I can't help you there.