Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: My Year in Books

Sign at the Book Blogger
Convention in May 2010
This was, in so many ways, an extraordinary reading year.

In 2010, it wasn't so much about the quantity, but the sheer quality of the books I read. Never before have I come away from so many books feeling so fulfilled. Never before have I come away from a book, time and time again,  even more in love with the written word than I was before turning to the first page.

Here's a look at 2010 by the numbers:

Total Number of Books Read:  79
(last year's total was 56)

Of the books I read, 31 were published in 2010.  (More than I expected!)

The oldest published book I read was from 1925 (Mrs. Dalloway)

I read 51 female authors and 30 male authors. (Yes, I know that adds up to more than 78.  In the case of NurtureShock as well as Made for Goodness, there were two authors.)

Of all of these authors, 46 were new to me.  There were only two authors who I read more than one book by this year.  That honor goes to Virginia Woolf (Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse) and the new-to-me poet Edward Hirsch (The Living Fire: New and Selected Poems and Lay Down the Darkness).

I read 19,864 pages ... and those unreachable 136 pages to make 20,000 is driving me a little nuts tonight. 

I listened to 6 audiobooks for more than 39 hours.  (I don't know how many hours the CD of The Kite Runner was.)

33 of my books were fiction. 
29 were nonfiction.
5 were young adult.
6 were collections of poetry.
8 were memoirs.
8 were short story collections.

Of the 79 books I read, I wrote 70 reviews.  (Not all have been posted yet.)

We made a lot of trips to the library.  This year, 69 of the books I read were borrowed. 

Only 10 of the books I read came from my own shelves.  (That's rather pathetic, but it gets worse ....)
5 of those were purchased this year (one from the amazing Housing Works Bookstore in New York, one from a church-sponsored yard sale, and three from Barnes and Noble). 
3 were acquired or purchased before 2010. 
2 showed up as review copies (and I did, in fact, actually review them). 

10 books were abandoned to the land of DNF (did not finish). 

I joined 11 reading challenges.

I completed 6 challenges (links take you to my wrap-up post for that particular challenge)
All Things Alcott: 1/1
Audio Book Challenge: 6/6
Essay Reading Challenge (10/10 essays)
Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge (4/4)
Support Your Local Library (75/75)
Women Unbound (8/8)

I didn't do as well at these 5 challenges:
The Beth Kephart Reading Challenge: 0/5 memoirs
Colorful Reading: 1/9
Debutante Ball: 0/1
Shelf Discovery: 0/6
YA Reading Challenge: 5/12

Still, this didn't stop me from signing up for 14 reading challenges in 2011! 

I attended two author events this year.  In May, my friend Niksmom invited me to a presentation by Jonathan Mooney, author of The Short Bus (he was amazing!).  And in November, I spent a wonderful evening among friends new and old at Beth Kephart's talk at the Radnor Library in Wayne, PA. 

As for next year, I usually don't make reading-related goals (except for the challenges, which I look at as fun).  I came to the conclusion a few months ago that I'm not an ARC blogger.  I can't remember the last time I requested a review book, and there are enough deadlines in my life already that I don't need more.  Of the two books I did receive for review, one I really liked and the other was definitely not to my liking and kind of raunchy ... so much so that I almost sent my review to my friend Florinda before hitting publish to make sure I wasn't being too snarky.  I don't think I was, but the whole experience made me realize that I am not a send-me-books-for-review blogger. As a result, I think I've enjoyed my books much more this year than ever before. 

By the time I'm finished with 2011 (all things considered and God willing), I'd like to have read more than 10 of my own books.  That's just pathetic.  It's better than my 2009 total of 9 of my own books read, but really, there's a lot of room for improvement here. 

I'm also planning to enjoy my new Kindle this year and in doing so, rediscover the classics and some of my favorite children's books like the fairy tales and The Secret Garden. 

And with that ...

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Years Day." - Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Have a happy, healthy and safe New Year everyone!  Happy Reading to all in 2011!

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

7 comments:

Priya said...

Happy New Year!

Florinda said...

I'm going to attempt to cut back on the ARC/review books in 2011. I thought I had in 2010, but when I crunched the numbers, it wasn't by as much as I'd thought it was.

See you at the 2011 Book Blogger Convention? :-)

IMOK said...

Congratulations on your many reading accomplishments this year!

I thank you for the reading fodder you provide me (an admitted not-much-of-a-reader) regularly through this blog. I love the heart and humor and wisdom you share! Plus it's great fun to keep up with the adventures of Betty and Boo.

And when the time comes for me to find a book to read, this is always my first stop for suggestions.

Wishing you joyous days filled with delightful pages in 2011!

XOXO

JoAnn said...

If it makes you feel any better, I only read 7 books from my tbr shelves in 2010 ...

I'd say you had an outstanding year. Happy New Year, Melissa!

Amy said...

Happy New Year. Congratulations on such a fantastic year - I hope that your 2011 is even better. That makes sense avoiding ARCs, other than the BEA books I really don't request them either.

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

I love your stats in your post! I worried that I might be taking my numbers too far, but you've got many of the same ones as me (My oldest book was Anne of Green Gables, originally published in 1908), and we each looked at some different aspects of our reading.

Congratulations on 2010, and good luck with reading your own books in 2011!

Lisa said...

I had a very eh reading year. I think I'm going to unofficially be more careful in my choices this year.