Thursday, December 2, 2010

2011 Challenges ... Five So Far!

Tis the season for signing up for reading challenges!  I have admittedly turned into a challenge junkie.  After not understanding them and dismissing them, I found myself signing up for something ridiculous like 13 challenges for 2010.  As of the moment, these are five (plus my own Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge, which will be returning again) that I am planning on participating in.

2nds Challenge
Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2011
Hosted by:  A Few More Pages

Description: Have you read a book by an author that you really enjoyed and felt moved to read another of the author's works? Or are you thinking to give an author another try even if you didn't like your first taste of their work? If yes, then this challenge is for you! You're going to go back for seconds of an author that you've only read once. The great thing about this challenge is that it's not just for your second in a series books, but the second time you've read an author as well.

Goal: I'm going to strive for A few more bites, which means that I plan to read 6 books that are 2nd in a series or the second time you've read the author.


Dates: January - December 2011
Hosted By:  Book Obsessed

Description: The goal of this challenge is to read books that are set in each of the fifty states.

Goal:  As much as I'd like to say I hope to complete this challenge, this is one that I'm doing pretty much just for fun.  I'm curious to see how many states I will actually visit through this challenge!

Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2011
Hosted by: Amanda

Description: The basic idea of this challenge is to read books about GLBT topics and/or by GLBT authors.

Goals:  We are to set our own goals for this one.  I'm planning on reading at least 5 books.  Hopefully more.  One of the books I am looking forward to is Heaven's Coast by Mark Doty.

Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2011
Hosted by: Unruly Reader

Description:  If you’re a Mad Men person, this reading challenge is for you! The challenge: Read books related to Mad Men. And when I say “related,” the relationship can be tangential… You get to choose. Ideas include: The Mad Men Reading List (from the New York Public Library), books published in the late 1950s and early/mid-1960s; books about the early/mid-1960s (JFK, LBJ, feminism, race relations, space race, Cold War, Vietnam War, etc.); books about advertising. Anything that you can tie in to Mad Men qualifies. If you can justify it to yourself, you’re all set.

Goal:  I am most definitely a Mad Men person, and am delighted about this challenge. I'm going for the FULL-PAGE AD level, which is to read 5 books—at least 2 fiction and 2 nonfiction.

Dates: January 1 - December 31, 2011
Hosted by: Beth Fish Reads

Description: Read one book in each of the following categories:

A book with a number in the title
A book with jewelry or a gem in the title
A book with a size in the title
A book with travel or movement in the title
A book with evil in the title
A book with a life stage in the title

Goal: To complete the challenge! :)

And for those who have been waiting with bated breath, I will indeed be bringing back the Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge for a second year.  Florinda (she of The 3Rs Blog) is in the process of updating the Official Challenge Button (yes, even with a dislocated shoulder ... isn't she an awesome friend?!) I'm thinking of keeping it the same as last year (we had to read four memoirs) and possibly adding a dedicated blog to the challenge.  More on this later, but I wanted you to know about it so you could consider the Memorable Memoir Reading Challenge as part of your reading year.

Hope you will consider signing up for one (or all!) of these.  (C'mon, you know you can't resist ....)

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

5 comments:

Florinda said...

You know I don't join many reading challenges, but the Mad Men one is definitely intriguing! And I'll be signing up for your memoir challenge again, of course :-). (The button should be in your inbox by now - thanks for your patience!)

Erin said...

So many great challenges! I love how there is such a wide variety...something for everyone! I get stressed out if I officially join challenges, but I will be unofficially participating in that my reading will be guided by many challenge guidelines. Happy challenge-reading!

Unruly Reader said...

Welcome to Reading Madly! I'll look forward to hearing which Mad-Men-ish books you choose to read.

Booksnyc said...

I am so glad you are bringing back memorable memoirs - I really enjoyed the challenge last year!

I am planning to host a challenge - I guess I better get on it and get it announced since everyone is starting their sign-ups . . .

Marce said...

I am so happy to hear you are bringing back the Memoir challenge. I had only read The Glass Castle before so didn't want to try this challenge, but I have kept a list of ones I am interested in and this will be the 'true challenge' I sign up for next year.