Friday, December 31, 2010

Best Books I Read in 2010: Fiction

Choosing just one book as the best book I've read in 2010 is an impossible task, so I'm breaking my Best Of lists into categories.  Here then, listed in alphabetical order by author last name, are my Best Fiction Books I Read in 2010 (not necessarily those published in 2010).  I give you my picks for the best novels first, followed by my choices for the best short story collections.


The Day the Falls Stood Still, by Cathy Marie Buchanan



Bad Marie, by Marcy Dermansky



Shadow Tag, by Louise Erdrich



Then We Came to the End, by Joshua Ferris



The Queen of Palmyra, by Minrose Gwin



American Music, by Jane Mendelsohn



Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout



Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls






Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf

And in the Short Story category:





Mrs. Somebody Somebody, by Tracy Winn

I'm loving reading everyone's Best Of lists!  Hope you all have a happy, healthy, and safe New Year!

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

9 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I also enjoyed The Day the Falls Stood Still when I read it in 2009. I enjoyed your lists Melissa.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Interesting list. I love to see hat people are reading and have read and what they find good.

Trisha said...

It is so hard to narrow down Best Of lists, isn't it? I managed to get down to ten, but I'm already rethinking things. :)

Amused said...

There are a couple of books in your favorites list that I have on my shelves that I hope to get to next year so I am happy to see that! I read Olive Kitteredge this year as well but I had such a hard time with Olive, she was such a frustrating character for me. I love that books affect people so differently!

Iliana said...

Oh you've got so many on your list that I want to read. Yay, lots to look forward to.

Cathy Marie Buchanan said...

Wow. Way too thrilled to find The Day the Falls Stood Still on any list in the company of Virginia Woolf and Elizabeth Strout.

Thanks you.

Cathy
-----
http://cathymariebuchanan.com/
http://www.facebook.com/cathymariebuchanan
http://twitter.com/CathyMBuchanan

Amy said...

What a varied list of books! I enjoyed Olive Kitteridge, will have to go for some of the others later on perhaps.

Lisa said...

I have a couple of these on my list, but have now seen The Day the Falls Stood Still often enough that I think I'll add it too.

Anna said...

The Day the Falls Stood Still is still unread on my shelf. I've seen it on a couple of "best of" lists, so I definitely need to make time to read it.