Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Challenges Finished: Audio Book Challenge (and Best Audiobooks Listened to in 2010)


With only three more days left in 2010, I know I'm not going to get any more audiobooks in by the end of the year.  Hence, this post serves three purposes: 1) my wrap-up for the Audio Book Challenge that I participated in (originally hosted at The Royal Reviews, and now at Teresa's Reading Corner; 2) to share with you my picks for best audios listened to in 2011 and 3) to tell you that I'll be joining the Audio Book Challenge again in 2011.

First, the challenge.  There were four levels to this challenge:

Curious – Listen to 3 Audio Books.
Fascinated – Listen to 6 Audio Books.
Addicted – Listen to 12 Audio Books.
Obsessed – Listen to 20 Audio Books.

My goal was the Fascinated level.  I thought there might have been a possibility I could make it to Addicted because at the beginning of this year I was commuting for nearly four hours (total) a day. As regular readers know, I got a new job in May and now my commuting time is nearly nil since I work at home.   So, I'm happy that I made it to the Fascinated level with this one.  

For this challenge, I only counted audiobooks that I listened to in their entirety.  By that I mean, sometimes I will listen to the first several chapters of a book if it happens to be a week where I'm driving a lot and then I will pick up the story in the print edition (because it might be several days before I'm back in the car for a significant amount of time).

Here's what I read (links take you to my reviews):












5. We've Got Issues: Children and Parents in the Age of Medication, by Judith Warner
(I have this review written, just not posted yet.)




If you are planning to explore the world of audiobooks in 2011 and wish to sample any of these, I would highly recommend The Kite Runner, Lift, We've Got Issues, and Half the Sky.  I would also recommend the audio versions of South of Broad by Pat Conroy and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. (These two fell into the category of books I both listened to as well as read.)

I didn't care much for Stones into Schools nor The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which is a candidate for my least-enjoyed book of 2010. 

I definitely plan to continue listening to audiobooks in 2011 and am joining the 2011 Audiobook Challenge being hosted by Teresa's Reading Corner.  (Bewitched Bookworms is also hosting a similar challenge, the Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge.  I just happened to hear of Teresa's first.)  My goal is to reach the Curious level, which is 3 audiobooks. 






copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

1 comment:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I'm joining this challenge this year as well. I have Sue Monk Kidd's Traveling with Pomegrantes in my car right now and probably will not finish it. I think Jan. 1 will be just the permission I need to chunk it for now and start the new year off with a bang!