Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas is Almost Here (My 1,000th Post)


 There's a hand that's old and rough
And it's holding on
To one that's new and small
Whose life has just begun
Hand in hand
Young and old
Calm each others fears
Christmas is almost here ....

You know those couples who are perfect for each other?  You know the ones. 

This couple, D. and S., are one such pair.  I know them personally - and have known them for more than 20 years when I went to college with them.  During those days, they were seemingly unseparable (they met on their first day of classes.)  You never saw one without the other.  In the cheesy words of Jerry Maguire, they really do complete one another.

But for more than 15 years of infertility hell, they weren't complete. Like countless people, all they wanted was a family. Like most of us who have walked the infertile ground, they tried and lost and tried some more.  They paid and prayed.  They prayed some more.

They turned to adoption.  And filled out forms, and waited, and were fingerprinted, and prayed and waited some more, and wrote up their story, and prayed and waited, and were home-studied, and prayed and waited ....

There's a rocky road ahead
Two people walk alone
Wondering in the fading light
If they can find their home
When hope is almost gone
A distant light appears
Christmas is almost here ....

And this fall came a note from my friends.  They were chosen.  It was their time.  They would have a little girl in time for the holidays, right around Thanksgiving.   

Imagine.  You've waited nearly two decades to become a parent, done everything that is expected of you and then some, been of service to others. And then Baby G. arrives, and is placed in your arms, right before Thanksgiving. 

I can imagine because The Husband and I have walked a very similar road.

Baby G. is now 5 weeks old as I write this, thriving, smiling, and the object of adoration by friends and family near and far.  She has captured our hearts ...

And the attention and interest of "a birth father" who has resurfaced, seeking custody. 

Oh, and one who is all of 21 years old, a convicted felon, and incarcerated for the next five years. 

There is a very real chance that my friends D. and S. will lose Baby G. to this dude who is in prison for the next five years..  So real of a chance that - after spending thousands of dollars to get to this point, D. and S. are now faced with additional legal bills of $20,000 - $40,000 just to be able to keep their little girl. 

"No judge in his or her right mind would rule against them," The Husband said to me, when I told them about our friends. 

One would think that would be the case.  But we've all seen cases where logic and the right thing didn't prevail, haven't we? 

Almost here for those in doubt
For those who must remain
Left behind when love goes cold
And shifting life makes change
Almost here for dreamers
Who think that there's a chance
That they will find their music
And a partner for the dance

This story hits very close to home for me, not only because I know this couple but because during our infertility journey, The Husband and I have faced very similar fears as my friends are now facing. 

And by the grace of God, I am lucky enough to be sitting here since 4 a.m. by the light of my own Christmas tree with my own two kids sleeping silently in their beds upstairs.

I cannot sit by and watch the unthinkable happen to people I care about ... which is why I am doing something I do professionally every day, but rarely here.  I want to help raise as much money as possible for my friends D. and S. so that they can keep their baby girl in their home.

Instead of with a 21 year old convicted felon serving 5 years.

I have seen the power of a blog post.  I have seen how generous and compassionate our blogging community can be when one of us is in need.  I know I don't have the reach and readership of a big-time blogger, but here's what I do know: 

I believe we can do this. That we can help keep D. and S. and Baby G. a family, as they should be, and not have her be raised by a criminal.

I know these are tough times and that this isn't a bright Christmas for a lot of people.  I know that this is the time of year when we're called on to do as much as we can. But, if D. and S.'s story moves you in any way and you're compelled to help, I know they would welcome your support - and so would I.

Here's how you can help:

If you'd like to send a donation to my PayPal account (you can use email address firmfam4 AT gmail DOT com) I will joyfully forward it onto my friends for Baby G.'s legal costs. They anticipate a hearing or trial or whatever they do in such cases to be held in February, so we'll keep this going into the new year. 

For as long as it takes.

In other news, this is my 1,000th published blog post. It's a momentous occasion in the world of those of us who do what we do. Since I knew this would fall close to Christmas, I wasn't sure what I would write for the 1,000th post but I knew I wanted it to be special.

Thank you for helping me make this happen.

There's a dream that doesn't die
Now we walk as one
Justice has a gentle hand
And love is like the sun
The darkest night is past
And by the stars we steer
Christmas is almost here

Christmas is almost here.

"Christmas Is Almost Here," written by Livingston Taylor and sung by Carly Simon


all but lyrics copyrighted 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy 1,000th post. I am grateful to have stumbled upon your blog and, especially this post. I will gladly contribute to this worthy cause.

Elizabeth said...

Oops -- your link isn't working to donate!

Florinda said...

What Elizabeth said about the PayPal link - I got an error page too.

Congratulations on Post #1000 - it's definitely a major milestone, and you've made very good use of it. I really feel for your friends and hope they win the case.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Oh Melissa, how sad and angry this makes me. What a joyous couple with their little girl.

I hope the power of prayer will come through. I would most definitely like to donate something.

Bless that little girl and the parents who deserve her.