Thursday, December 8, 2011

He Still Shines On, Like the Moon and the Stars and the Sun

New York City as seen from the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center)
on an incredibly balmy and perfect summer's night, August 6, 2010.
Photo taken by me.
 
"‘How are you? How’s your relationship goin’? Did you get through it all? Wasn’t the seventies a drag, you know? Here we are, well let’s try to make the eighties good, you know?’ ‘Cause it’s still up to us to make what we can of it. It’s not out of our control. I still believe in love, peace; I still believe in positive thinking – when I can do it. I’m not always positive, but when I am, I try to project it .... Because we survived! That’s the thing. You have to give thanks to God, or whatever it is up there, the fact that we all survived. We all survived Vietnam, or Watergate, or the tremendous upheaval of the whole world that’s changed...we...we were the hip ones in the sixties, but the world is not like the sixties. The whole map’s changed. And we’re goin’ into an unknown future, but we’re still all here. We still...while there’s life there’s hope ....”

"I always considered my work one piece, whether it be with Beatles, David Bowie, Elton John, Yoko Ono...and I consider that my work won’t be finished until I’m dead and buried, and I hope that’s a long, long time. "

John Lennon, during what nobody could have imagined would be his final interview, on December 8, 1980.

originally posted here on the blog 12/8/2010.  




copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Florinda said...

It's a sad day, and 30 years later, still a great loss.

readerbuzz said...

I'm just stopping by to remind you....If you have read any wonderful literary books
published in 2010, I urge you to nominate your favorites
for The Independent Literary Awards. The awards
include categories of Literary Fiction and Literary Non-Fiction.
Nominations close December 15.

Rebecca :) said...

He may have died when I was 1, but I grew to love the Beatles music, and then I grew to respect and love John Lennon himself. He was a talented singer, a gifted songwriter, and a guy with a big heart. Imagine will always be one of my favorite songs because I am a huge idealist. So much so it gets me into trouble.