Thursday, December 30, 2010

"The Literary Equivalent of Fantasy Football" (Or, More Challenges I've Lost My Mind Over and Signed Up For)

Will somebody puh-leese stop me before I join another reading challenge for 2011?  This is getting a little out of control here. 

In addition to hosting the Memorable Memoir Challenge (shameless plug alert! go here for more info!) and the other 5 that I already told you about (2nds, 50 States, GLBT, Reading Madly, and What's in a Name), I've gone and signed myself up for ... 8 more.

That's a total of 14 challenges. 

Fourteen! That's absolutely ridiculous. 

But it is oh so much fun, right?

(As The Husband said to me the other night, as I was going on about this: "These challenges sound like the literary equivalent of Fantasy Football."  And you know what?  He's so right.  Never again will I make fun of him playing Fantasy Football or Baseball or whatever else.  You get your fun where you can, and in my world, my fun comes from reading challenges. So there.)

Here are my latest challenges.  I think I'm done with all of my choices and strategizing now.  Maybe. 




As soon as I opened up my Kindle on Christmas morning, I knew I was joining the 2011 E-Book Challenge.  How could I not?! There are four levels:

-- Curious – Read 3 e-books.
-- Fascinated – Read 6 e-books.
-- Addicted – Read 12 e-books.
-- Obsessed – Read 20 e-books.

I'm going for the Fascinated level (6 e-books) with this one, but hopefully will read more (especially since I've downloaded about 150 free classics since Christmas Day.)



I participated in the Essay Reading Challenge last year and am thrilled it is back again for 2011.  This one goes from January 1, 2011 to November 30, 2011 and has three levels.  You can choose to read 10, 20, or 20 essays.  I'm going for the 10 essays level again, which is what I did this year.  (I read Gravity Pulls You In: Perspectives on Raising Children on the Autism Spectrum, edited by Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman)


Serena is hosting the Fearless Poetry Reading Challenge and really, I can't imagine anyone better to host this one, which is even easier than my Memorable Memoir Challenge.  One book of poetry is all that's required. One!  For me, 2010 was the year that I rediscovered poetry.  This challenge almost feels like cheating to me because I would have read one book of poetry anyway in 2011. 



Margot at Joyfully Retired is hosting the 2011 Foodies Reading Challenge on its own dedicated blog. She writes:

One thing we all have in common is the need to eat food. Some of us also have a strong need/desire to read about food. I’m one of them, are you? Such people are known as Foodies – people who love to talk, read, watch food tv, or anything else with a food theme.

If that description fits you, I invite you to join me in the Foodie’s Reading Challenge for 2011. Together we’ll explore the world of good food writing. That may take the form of a cookbook or a biography or even a novel centered around food.

Readers can choose from five levels of participation:

Nibbler: 1 to 3 books
Bon Vivant: 4 to 6 books
Epicurean: 7 to 9 books
Gourmet: 10 to 12
Glutton: More than 12

I have several such books out from the library right now, so I am going to be ambitious with this one and go for the Glutton (more than 12) level, especially since cookbooks count.  Plus, it will help me generate posts for Weekend Cooking.



Jackie from Literary Escapism is once again hosting the New Author Challenge. She writes:

The idea behind this is to find new authors that you’ve never tried before. They can be in your genre of choice or be brave and try something new. You never know what you’re going to like until you try it.

Guidelines:  Since this is an author challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors must be new to you and, preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from anthologies.You can pick to do either 15, 25 or 50 new authors. It all depends on how fast you read and how adventurous you want to be.

I'm going for the 15 New Authors level.



My friend Zee from Notes from the North is hosting the Nordic Challenge. Any book by any author born in a Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and/or Sweden) or a book set in a Nordic country are allowed for this challenge.  Books can be from any genre. Since I have I Curse the River of Time currently out from the library, I thought I'd might as well join this one because the levels are definitely doable. 


Huginn and Muninn: Read 2 books
Freya: Read 3-5 books
Tor: Read 6-10 books
Odin: Read 11-20 books
Valhalla: Read 20+ books

I'm going for Huginn and Muninn, 2 books. 

And last but certainly not least ....




Read a book(s)--non-fiction or fiction of any genre, adult or young adult--written by an author from the South and set mostly in the South.


The states considered to be the South for this challenge are South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Texas and Florida--as long as you find a book by a Florida author and/or set in Florida that feels Southern.

Levels:

Level 1--C'mon in the house! Read 1 book.
Level 2--Pull up a seat and stay a while! Read 2 books
Level 3--Have a glass of sweet iced tea, honey. Read 3 books
Level 4--Y'all come back now, y'hear! Read 4 books

This is one of the challenges I'm most excited about as I love, love, love Southern literature.  LOVE. IT.  Hence, I'm going for Level 4 with this one. 

Have you joined or are you planning to join any of these challenges?

copyright 2010, Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy, The Betty and Boo Chronicles) If you are reading this on a blog or website other than The Betty and Boo Chronicles or via a feedreader, this content has been stolen and used without permission.

3 comments:

Debbie Diesen said...

Oh, c'mon, how about just one more? I've got a Michigan Notable Books reading challenge going on over on my blog -- it's open to people in any state -- just sign up to read 2 books from a list of 20 and you could possibly win a $50 gift certificate: http://bit.ly/dFEegP

Fifteen challenges sounds just about perfect for 2011. :)

Happy reading!

Debbie Diesen

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

LOL!! I'm doing the same thing...getting crazier and crazier as we get closer to Jan. 1!! I was already signing up for the Audio Book Challenge, the Foodie Challenge, and the Ebook challenge; you've convinced me to take the plunge on the Southern Literature challenge and I may even just go on ahead and sign up for the Memorable Memoir challenge...Oy!! I do need to figure out a strategy though so all of this craziness will work out for me!!

Elizabeth said...

O.K. My head is spinning and I don't understand how yours is not!